cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL and Windows98/profiles - help please

N/A

ADSL and Windows98/profiles - help please

I have Windows 98 and use profiles so that each member of the family can access their own files and settings.

At the moment every time someone logs off and another person logs on they have to reconnect to ADSL and log-in to plusnet - a process that takes 2-3 minutes.

Does anyone know of a way of configure Windows so that it does the connection and AccessRunnder DSL when it first starts up and does not have to be reloaded each time someone logs in?
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ADSL and Windows98/profiles - help please

> I have Windows 98 and use profiles so that each member of the family can access their own files and settings.
>
> At the moment every time someone logs off and another person logs on they have to reconnect to ADSL and log-in to plusnet - a process that takes 2-3 minutes.
>
> Does anyone know of a way of configure Windows so that it does the connection and AccessRunnder DSL when it first starts up and does not have to be reloaded each time someone logs in?

I think when ever you logout it will disconnect you as you started the connection under your ID, I am not sure if there is a work around.

One way to get around this is to have a rounter connection, that way the router is always logged on to the net, and you can use it when ever you logon. There is no connection procedure as that bit is done by the router and not windows.

Delves
Grafter

RE: ADSL and Windows98/profiles - help please

Try creating a shotcut to your dialup connection and then put it in the startup folder. Might work, worth a try.

Under XP you can log user's in and out without lossing connection. I know it dosen't help you but if you were thinking of an OS upgrade then that's a feature that works.

> I have Windows 98 and use profiles so that each member of the family can access their own files and settings.
>
> At the moment every time someone logs off and another person logs on they have to reconnect to ADSL and log-in to plusnet - a process that takes 2-3 minutes.
>
> Does anyone know of a way of configure Windows so that it does the connection and AccessRunnder DSL when it first starts up and does not have to be reloaded each time someone logs in?