cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL and Wi-fi

N/A

ADSL and Wi-fi

Can anyone help me? I have a laptop computer, running Windows XP Home, with an internal wireless card. When at home (where I have no wireless network) I communicate with the internet using PlusNet broadband and a Voyager USB modem.

I want to be able to take my laptop to my office, where there is a wireless network, and connect to the internet using the wireless there. That worked fine before I installed the Voyager modem.

But now I cannot start IE at the office without it dialing the Voyager modem. Even if I unclick the Voyager being the default connection to the modem. It is as if the Voyager has taken over IE, so that even when wireless is available, I cannot connect to it.

I called PlusNet whose only suggestion was to uninstall the Voyager each time I want to use wireless. That cannot be right.

Any advice/instructions would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

ADSL and Wi-fi

Have you tried setting 'never dial my default connection' in IE settings connections tab.
N/A

ADSL and Wi-fi

you could also set IE to use Your lan as the way it connects at work under the proxy tab, so that it will not look for the voyager. You couls also disable it in the properties of the hardware...

or get ur self a ethernetmodem Smiley
N/A

ADSL and Wi-fi

I'll try both. Many thanks.
Chris
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

ADSL and Wi-fi

You should select "Only dial when there is no network connection" in IE, also you need to remove any specific connection selection is Outlook Expresse account settings. With this configuration, IE & OE will only attempt to connect via the dial-up modem when neither of your wireless or BB networks are not available OR are responding slowly. If you suffer from the latter, then you will need to select the "never dial" option as previously advised. The disadvantage of that otion is that if you are not connected to either of your networks, you will need to re-configure IE to use the dial-up modem.