cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL and Voice Calls

johnmglen
Grafter

ADSL and Voice Calls

I have recently started using ADSL from Plus.Net and (after some really poor service from Plus.Net dispatch) am perfectly happy with the product.

My question is, why when I am on the internet and I make a telephone call, does my ADSL Modem disconnect? Once the call is completed, it messes about for a while then I get the connected 'ding' and a solid green light again - at which point all is well again and I can continue on the net.

I was under the impression that the voice call would not intefere with internet usage and vice versa.

Using Conexant Modem, AccessRunner etc. :?: :?: :?:
5 REPLIES
N/A

ADSL and Voice Calls

If setup correctly, then yes, you can make phone calls and use the internet at the same time (I now effectly have two outgoing lines thanks to ADSL).

By correct setup, this means you have connected splitters in all the correct locations, such that the voice line does not intifear with ADSL and the other way.

Each phone device in the house must be behind a splitter/filter. They don't need there own filter, they just need to be behind one.

A phone device is any device connected to the phone line, that isn't for ADSL. This means only one device should not be filtered (the DSL modem). The devices include Sky, Phones (Cordless or wired), ATI alarms, computer modems, Tivo and Caller ID units.
johnmglen
Grafter

ADSL and Voice Calls

Thanks for the reply, as my phone is downstairs and my PC upstairs I think I may have it set up wrong. Unfortunately I do not know how to correct it.

There is one phone line into the house, connected to the phone down stairs and extended to the phone upstairs. From there it is extended again into another room for the computer adsl feed. There is a line splitter at this point (so that the ADSL modem can connect via its connector).

What is wrong with this setup, where have I gone wrong?

I would appreciate any help you could offer.

Thanks

John
N/A

ADSL and Voice Calls

Every device plugged into the phone line (directly or indirectly) must have an ADSL splitter. There is a very good tutorial about setting up filters correctly. Hopefully that'll help solve the problem Smiley
N/A

ADSL and Voice Calls

OK, from what I can tell, you have two extention cables. Where the two extention cables join, you have a phone as well.

This setup is fine provided you adjust the position of the splitter/filter.

The cable for the ADSL modem sounds as if it has the two smaller connectors on it. This is why you have it connected to the splitter.

The splitter/filter needs to be connected to the phone and not the modem, so that is your problem.

Have you still got your cable for the existing PC modem?

If so, you can use this for the ADSL modem. It should have the correct plugs for your needs.
johnmglen
Grafter

ADSL and Voice Calls

Acarr. Thank you very much for your help, your post put me completely onto the right track and all is now cured, no crackling either, no disconnects just perfect.

Thanks again. :lol: :lol:

[Moderators note (by Thomas): I presumed you wanted smileys, so I've enabled smilies in this post. You may wish to have them enabled by default from you profile.]