cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL and Netgear dg814 and stuff

N/A

ADSL and Netgear dg814 and stuff

Hey all, I'm quite new to this adsl lark, and was wondering one tiny little thing.

I use the Netgear dg814 modem router for my plusnet connection, and have noticed that my computer doesnt need to be turned on for it to work. I didn't realise the router works independantly of my pc (i told you i was new to this)...
My question is, is it safe to leave the router switched on when I'm not on my pc (or any other connected pcs) and the pc's are switched off? Isn't there a possibility of a hacker logging into the router and waiting for one of the connected pc's to switch on?
And finally, why is it that the router will just connect to the net of its own accord? Is that meant to be like that?

Thanks for any help and advice in advance,
Smiley
JakobG
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ADSL and Netgear dg814 and stuff

> Hey all, I'm quite new to this adsl lark, and was wondering one tiny little thing.
>
> I use the Netgear dg814 modem router for my plusnet connection, and have noticed that my computer doesnt need to be turned on for it to work. I didn't realise the router works independantly of my pc (i told you i was new to this)...
> My question is, is it safe to leave the router switched on when I'm not on my pc (or any other connected pcs) and the pc's are switched off? Isn't there a possibility of a hacker logging into the router and waiting for one of the connected pc's to switch on?
> And finally, why is it that the router will just connect to the net of its own accord? Is that meant to be like that?
>
> Thanks for any help and advice in advance,
> Smiley
> JakobG

Hi,

Don't worry about leaving the router on, that's what they are made to do. Your router contains your username, password and a bunch of other boring configs. It is configured to automatically connect to your ISP.

Don't know about the Netgear specifically, but the router should not allow connections to it from the outside world for admin purposes.

You will only be able to get to the router configs from either the ethernet port that you plug your PC's into, or the serial port using a cable to your PC.

The question is, why would anyone spend the time hacking you when there are millions of other Internet users?

Ed.
Community Veteran

I use this router,
no it does not allow access to the config screens from external locations.

Chris
N/A

If you're worried about vulverability when connected to ADSL (particularly if you have a static IP address) check out the Gibson Research site www.grc.com where you will find port scanning software. This will let you know which ports are open to the internet, and also recommend which you should close if needs be. (Note, this is not a problem if your PC is switched off, but check that you haven't got AWAKE ON LAN activated on your ethernet card - if your motherboard & NIC have it.)

You are probably aiming for an invisible connection, where only the IP address of your router (ie. your PlusNet ADSL connection)is visible to the outside world.

There is also a new(er) version of the ZoneAlarm firewall at www.zonealarm.com which is very good and costs nowt.

Hope this helps a bit..

Daniel
Cheesy

N/A

Thanks for the advice and information guys Smiley