cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL & Surge Protection?

N/A

ADSL & Surge Protection?

Do surge protectors/breakers have any effect on ADSL . For instance,
If I were to take my BT line through a surge protector and then filter it to ADSL and phone line, would it:
a) Still work?

b) have any effect on the rate of connection?

//
J :?:
--
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/
11 REPLIES
N/A

ADSL & Surge Protection?

This works fine, and I still manage to break the +net speed tester (see other threads).
Community Veteran

ADSL & Surge Protection?

I shouldnt think it would make a difference, if anything it would not work rather than slow down due to the nature of ADSL, this would be the case with rate adaptive DSL too.

What does ADSL have to do with organ donation polls?

Chris
N/A

ADSL & Surge Protection?

I have a old but still working harmonica I no longer need, should I register it?
Community Veteran

ADSL & Surge Protection?

lol

When I first read the post I thought it was with regards to donating old bits of ADSL routers and modems to build some sort of Frankensteins monster thing.

Chris
N/A

ADSL & Surge Protection?

Hey thx for the replies! Very swift!
It just said add a poll, not that it has to be ADSL related!-) I'm a newbie, well, to this ADSL thing anyway!

The poll is a serious question, even if slightly OT from ADSL. Look at the stats and you will see why its a serious question! Glad everyones taken it in good humour tho;-)
//
J
N/A

ADSL & Surge Protection?

I know this post was made a few months ago but for anyone just finding this I thought you may find this useful.

I've been using a surge surpressor for sometime on my set up and although it usually works fine every so often I have terrible download speeds for a few days and then it seems to rectify itself. Anyway, over the last 5-6 days my connection has been absolutely awful, I tried everything I could thing of and eventually decided to take my surge surpressor out of the loop, reconnected to the internet and download speeds back up where they should be.

Surge surpressor seems to be working fine but it's obviously having an intermittent adverse effect on my dsl connection. Don't know a great deal about how they work but as telephone lines are self powered and the surge surpressor I guess is acting as a filter to provide a clean power supply, I guess it must be interfering with the signal somehow.
N/A

ADSL & Surge Protection?

Actually, there is little need to fit a surge arrestor into the phone line, as the master socket has one fitted anyway.
http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html
This surge arrestor is really for lightening/EHT protection and not voltage spikes as normally found on 240V supplies.
Howver, saying that, approved modems and phones connected to any BT network should be voltage isolated from the BT lines.
N/A

ADSL & Surge Protection?

Having followed the link to the details on the master socket, I'm not convinced that the little surge arrestor would stop any damage from a lightning strike. The lightening would simply jump it.

See the following link http://web.ukonline.co.uk/freshwater/lightng.htm

A direct strike will go down your line and short of disconnecting the equipment before the storm, the is little you can do. I know you can buy sockets which claim to have built in protection for phone lines against lightening strikes, and they may work, but bear in mind if your protection socket is too close to your computer or anything else electricial. It will simply jump from the socket to your machine.
N/A

ADSL & Surge Protection?

Agreed. You cannot protect against a direct strike. After all, that lightening has already travelled thousands of feet in the air, that is some big spark gap.
To my knowledge, there is no low cost surge protection that will protect against a direct strike.

The arrestors in phone equipment is to guard against proximity strikes, where there is still sufficient voltage picked up by surrounding wires/cables to do damage but can easily be handled by decent gas discharge tubes.
N/A

ADSL & Surge Protection?

I think this has gone a bit off topic. The question is not whether surge surpressors offer protection against lightning strikes but whether they have any effect on adsl by running your modem through the device. My answer, from experience, is yes it can have an effect on the adsl.
N/A

ADSL & Surge Protection?

How very true, in theory they should have no effect.

However over time the components will slowly breakdown and this can sometimes have an effect.

I have one and have suffered no problems or loss of speed as a result.