cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Speed

N/A

ADSL Speed

I have an ADSL Home package for £22.99 per month and the bandwidth meter on plus.net states I get between 200 and 500 kbps - fluctuating between these figures on every test.

Downloading files I can sometimes receive up to 50kbps, obviously depending on the source.

My web pages don't seem to load a significant amount of difference than when I had the modem.

What kind of stats are other users getting, and are those I mentioned above in keeping with everyone else - or is there anything I can do to speed surfing up a little?

Michael
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ADSL Speed

yeah ive ad plusnet for a few months and its always been slow speeds, im kinda used to it now, as soon as contract runs out im going elsewhere

> I have an ADSL Home package for £22.99 per month and the bandwidth meter on plus.net states I get between 200 and 500 kbps - fluctuating between these figures on every test.
>
> Downloading files I can sometimes receive up to 50kbps, obviously depending on the source.
>
> My web pages don't seem to load a significant amount of difference than when I had the modem.
>
> What kind of stats are other users getting, and are those I mentioned above in keeping with everyone else - or is there anything I can do to speed surfing up a little?
>
> Michael

elton
Grafter

Why don't you go and have a look at the ISP speed ratings on adslguide, instead of asking the same boring question that has been asked countless times on these forums.

http://www.adslguide.org/newsarchive.asp?item=987

And check your MTU settings while you're at it.

>
> What kind of stats are other users getting, and are those I mentioned above in keeping with everyone else - or is there anything I can do to speed surfing up a little?
>
> Michael

--
Skonko!
N/A

> Why don't you go and have a look at the ISP speed ratings on adslguide, instead of asking the same boring question that has been asked countless times on these forums.(?)

Because I'm new to this and a little bit slow - it didn't even occur to me to search older threads, and for that I apologise.

>
> http://www.adslguide.org/newsarchive.asp?item=987

Thank you - it's bookmarked.

>
> And check your MTU settings while you're at it.

I have no idea what MTU settings are, let alone where they are and what to check for.

Michael
elton
Grafter

http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?bvIkeqvfDEk%3D

>
> I have no idea what MTU settings are, let alone where they are and what to check for.
>
> Michael

--
Skonko!
N/A

> > My web pages don't seem to load a significant amount of difference than when I had the modem.
> >
> > Michael

Michael, if you can't see a difference between xDSL and a modem, it isn't a problem with +net. Are you sure you're not using your old modem? Wink

Gaming pings have been high for a while (since the problems they had). Certainly on par with other gamers (30ms etc). And believe me, us gamers see packet loss long before other users!

I've very pleased with my bandwidth at the moment Smiley

Sorry this hasn't helped you, but you would see lots of postings here if there was a major problem.

Ed.
N/A

web browsing is unbearable, my game pings r fine, games and web browsing use different internet protocols, one can be good while the other is crap, my browsing is slow and also when i download from places like microsoft etc, yet my pings r good, i think plusnet have major problems but they just cant figure out what is wrong.....yes ive changed my mtu settings...no i wont be extending my contract ive had this problem from the start of the contract....no i wudnt and have not recommended plusnet to many friends and family
N/A

web browsing is unbearable, my game pings r fine, games and web browsing use different internet protocols, one can be good while the other is crap, my browsing is slow and also when i download from places like microsoft etc, yet my pings r good, i think plusnet have major problems but they just cant figure out what is wrong.....yes ive changed my mtu settings...no i wont be extending my contract ive had this problem from the start of the contract....no i wudnt and have not recommended plusnet to many friends and family
N/A

Andrew, I'm confused why you would mention protocols. If there was a network problem I would expect gamers to see it long before the majority of other "ordinary" +net users. Latency and packet loss highlight problems, protocols aren't an issue unless packet shaping or proxies are in use.

The fact is that we are all using +net so I would expect to have the same problem as you if it was a +net network wide problem. I would also expect to see many postings here, in USENET and on the many ISP Forums that I use.

I can only conclude that it is a problem local to your exachange or home set-up. Swapping ISP's will do nothing to fix that.

Hope this helps.

Ed.