cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Speed - what's yours ?

N/A

ADSL Speed - what's yours ?

I checked my download & uploads speeds at adslguide.org.uk and found them to be typically 8 KBytes per sec and 29.4KBytes per sec respectively. Is this average / to be expected depending on contention ? The report generated by the adslguide.org speed test reports that the line is 'very slow'. Any feedback appreciated.
10 REPLIES
Jim
Grafter

RE: ADSL Speed - what's yours ?

Downstream 402 Kbps (50.3 KB/sec)
Upstream 220 Kbps (27.5 KB/sec)

From the same source
N/A

N/A

PlusNet has always been good since the 155mb fat pipe was placed in, well for me anyway.
Now and then i have had the odd problem mainly with RADIUS the authentication server, but normally it is very fast up and down now and connects first time.

Here is my speed test report.

Broadband Speed Test Results

Results from your most recent broadband speed test recorded on 17 September 2002 at 13:14:55.

Your Connection

Direction Actual Speed True Speed
Downstream 466 Kbps (58.3 KB/sec) 535 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 234 Kbps (29.3 KB/sec) 269 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Looks like i'm getting the max for 500 account.
Smiley
--
Jason
=====
N/A

> Thanks for the replies chaps - guess I should move house to a different area! Half an hour ago BT phoned me to say that they had increased the gain on the line, maybe this will help. It might be that I'm just in an area where there is lots of contention.
N/A

Speed has now increased to 35KBps down and 30KBPs now that the boys at BT have tweaked (increased the gain). This is a 4 fold improvement on the download speed!! Guess I'll just call BT again to see if they can tweak a bit more !!!
N/A

Here's mine...

Downstream 461 Kbps (57.6 KB/sec) 530 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 237 Kbps (29.6 KB/sec) 272 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Considering I'm close to "peak" time that's pretty damn good. It was lousy before but things seem to be going a lot better these days!

Oh and I was running a chat-client at the same time...dunno how much that would affect it.

;o)))))
N/A

Hi everyone,

Here's mine.

Downstream 448 Kbps (56.0 KB/sec) 515 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 234 Kbps (29.3 KB/sec) 269 Kbps (inc. overheads)

--
Regards,

Matthew

Change someones life;
become a teacher
N/A

> Speed has now increased to 35KBps down and 30KBPs now that the boys at BT have tweaked (increased the gain). This is a 4 fold improvement on the download speed!! Guess I'll just call BT again to see if they can tweak a bit more !!!
>

Upping the gain will not, repeat, will not increase your adsl speed. It only effects the analogue side (speach). In fact, it can add errors etc, as it can reduce the SNR "signal noise ratio" & the grater the SNR the better.

The only time changing the gain will help the speed, is with a normal analogue modem.
N/A

hi mate i was wondering wot modem etc you are useing

also have you put in the filters in the right places

this is my speed test

Downstream 467 Kbps (58.4 KB/sec) 537 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 239 Kbps (29.9 KB/sec) 274 Kbps (inc. overheads)

but sometimes it is this

Downstream 468 Kbps (58.5 KB/sec) 538 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 239 Kbps (29.9 KB/sec) 274 Kbps (inc. overheads)

N/A

I've been monitoring the down/up speeds and have come to the conclusion that it's variable - that's to be expected as it is a contended service. Can't complain too much but, and I misquote, "Speed is good!". I have been getting better speeds in the last few days though, especially after BT tweaked the line.

Christian - To answer your questions - I'm using a Conexant USB modem as supplied by Plusnet. I am connecting to my main BT socket using the P'net supplied microfilter with a single phone attached. That's all - no other connections - indeed, as soon as I plug in any further extension leads for an additonal phone I cannot get ADSL connection.

I'm using 9m of Belkin brand cable to run down to my study where the PC is connected. Normal extension lead just wouldn't work.

I am contemplating buying a new filter to see if I can start to add extension leads - but what brand is the best? (i've also been on holiday, been painting a bedroom and generally moving furniture around the houses so I been pre-occupied!)