cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Speed test Query

N/A

ADSL Speed test Query

I have just recently joined PlusNet with a Premier up to 2Mb account. I'm happy with the quality of the connection, but the speed tests seem to indicate that I'm only running at slightly over the speeds I'd expect for a 1 Mb connection - BT Line speed checker last night gave me a figure of 938kbs, Speed checker on here at various times of day over the last few days ranges from 948.7 to 963.kbps.

I've used the exchange checker facility, exchange is Aberdeen Bieldside NSDBS, DSLAM ID BDS_DSL_101 and it appears to be green, though earmarked for update in August - would this be a possible reason I'm running a 1Mb speed?

Running via a 3com officeconnect ADSL wireless router, it gives me downstream noise margin 31dB, attenuation 10dB, and upstream 29dB and 8 dB .

I've checked MTU & RWIN settings and they look reasonable, can't imagine that they would have such an apparent drastic effect evenif they were wrong. Anybody have any suggestions where to look next, OS is WinXP SP2.

Thanks in Advance,

Paul Brown
16 REPLIES
craigbrass
Grafter

ADSL Speed test Query

Ok,

Use the BT speedtester to do 3 tests, also do 3 tests on the PlusNet tester and then raise a ticket with this information. They will most likely send a BT engeneer out once they rule out everything else.
LiamM
Grafter

ADSL Speed test Query

You would need to rule out all local factors though, as 9 times out of 10, it isn't the line.

And if they find it isn't, then you'll be expected to pay £50 for coming out.

You need to plug directly into the Master Socket, unplug all other equipment and give it ago. Try other computers if you can, and other modems / routers.

If the BT Speedtester indicates a low speed also, then you can be almost certain it's within BT's network.

Have you checked your local VP status of the exchange at http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges.

I assume you are syncing at 2272 / 288?
N/A

ADSL Speed test Query

Liam,
I'll try all those things over the next couple of days. I have a USB modem from my last ill advised connection with Tiscali, and can probably borrow another router from work to try. As far as synching goes, how do I go about checking that independently? My router stats reports actual data rates of 1152 (Kbps.) downstream, 288 up, which I assume refers to synch rates

I used the exchange checker to get the info on my exchange & DSLAM I already mentioned, VP status is green.

Running tracert to a few websites gets me hops 25 ms or so, and tweak test reckoned it was a good quality connection, it's just the speed that is the issue.

Thanks for the quick reply guys

Paul brown
N/A

ADSL Speed test Query

"My router stats reports actual data rates of 1152 (Kbps.) downstream, 288 up, which I assume refers to synch rates "

Yes - and 1152 downstream means you are synching at 1 Mb not 2 Mb.
N/A

ADSL Speed test Query

kimberleynet

Did you migrate from another ISP? If you have then you will of migrated at the speed you was on with your previous ISP. If you have not migrated then you should have been provided a connection at the fastest speed that your line can support. In that case might be worth a call to customer support to ensure that your connection has been provided at the maximum possible.

Steve
N/A

ADSL Speed test Query

No, I was a Tiscali dupe, so couldn't migrate, had to do a cease & reprovide malarkey.
LiamM
Grafter

ADSL Speed test Query

You've been reprovided at 1Mb then. Might be worth checking your link:Contact Us tickets then as your line may not support 2Mb.

Does your router give Line Attenuation (Loss) and SNR (Noise Margin)?
N/A

ADSL Speed test Query

Liam,
Nothing in the contact us tickets mentions any problems with line speed limitations, the only problem I did have was tiscali being dog slow to actually pass the cease order onto BT.

Last night the router was reporting downstream stats as noise 31dB Attentuation 10 dB, and upstream at 29dB and 8 dB. Am I correct in thinking that this is ok for 2Mb, or have I got my understanding backwards?

Thanks for your help

Paul Brown
LiamM
Grafter

ADSL Speed test Query

Yup, they're really good for 2Mb. I would raise a link:Contact Us ticket and ask why you have been provisioned at 1Mb and not 2Mb. Plusnet will likely submit a regrade order FOC for you which should be complete tomorrow (though can take upto 7 days in theory)
N/A

ADSL Speed test Query

Liam,
Again, many thanks for the help, I'll put a request in now Cheesy
N/A

ADSL Speed test Query

Hmm, not so good news. Support came back very quickly (well done!) with the bad news that apparently the BT line test reckoned the line was only good for 1mbps, so that's what I got from the BT end.

Is there anyway of getting BT to do another speed check on the line - would calling 150 & moaning help at all?

According to samknows I'm 175 metres from the exchange, maybe I'll buy a reel of 4 pair & run it myself Sad

Paul Brown
LiamM
Grafter

ADSL Speed test Query

Give them the Line Attenuation figures and SNR readings you just gave us, and insist that a manual regrade order is placed. If needs be, they can perform what is called a "whoosh test" to determine if your line is suitable.

You need a Line Attenuation of LESS than 43dB for 2mb, and you're well within that. An SNR up in the high 20s-30s is also very good. The higher that figure - the better.
N/A

ADSL Speed test Query

Liam,
by they, I take it you mean plusnet CS, and not BT directly?
LiamM
Grafter

ADSL Speed test Query

Yes Plusnet. Reply to the ticket that was returned to you stating the info they have is incorrect.