cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL: Speed Upgrades FAQ

Community Veteran

Im on a 512k / 1meg account at the moment, will I get a free upgrade?
All customers on the Home Premier, Lite, HomeSurf, EasyStart & Home packages will receive a free upgrade. Broadband Plus and DSLConnect customers do not get a free upgrade.
These upgrades are dependant on line conditions and be performed from April, until the end of June.

I've tried to upgrade via the portal, but Im told it will cost me £14.99, what shall I do?
You do not need to take any action from the portal. You will be automatically upgraded once BT get round to doing your exchange.
You can however, jump the queue and upgrade earlier at a cost of £14.99. If done in conjunction with lowering your monthly cost & FUP allowance, it will cost £29.99.
This can be cost effective for some customers, but bear in mind that a free upgrade could be be a few days away.

Can I see the rollout plan anywhere?
Not at the moment, although PlusNet do hope to have information released prior to the end of April.

When willI get an upgrade to 4 or 8meg?
BT are currently performing testing at a limited number of exchanges, it is hoped these higher speeds will become available from September for other users.

This trial is on a selection basis only, with no waiting list available to join. When BT extend the trialist numbers and exchanges, BT will ask PlusNet to contact customers they wish to conduct the trial with.

Will my 12 month contract restart when I get an upgrade?
No, your current contract is unaffected.

Will my monthly fees change when I get an upgrade?
No, this will stay the same, inline with what you currently pay and inline with the FUP restrictions for your account.

You can however reduce your FUP allowance if your usage is inline with a lower allowance threshold. There is a £15 administration for for this. In many cases, this can be cost effective and reclaimed within only a few months of any change.

Why do new customers get a higher speed automatically?
Due to changes in the way broadband is supplied to ISPs, it makes no sense to supply customers at lower speeds and upgrade them at a later date. As a result, new customers are supplied at the fastest rater there line will allow, in much the same way as upgrades will be to the fastest your line will allow, upto 2Mb.

Why haven't upgrades been done at the start of April?
BT have overestimated the demand of upgrades and work to be performed accross all ISPs. This is also part of a major network overhaul by BT. The entire upgrade process started in February and will will through until June.

Many services where huge volumes of orders are created have always been subject to change.

What if I can't get 2meg?
You will be upgraded to the higest speed possible for your account, if this means you can't be upgraded you will stay on your current speed.

Majority of text by Chris (fa55dsl) with some re-writing by Philip (acarr)
18 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

This should probably be edited to include the new information and exchange upgrade PDF. I didn't want to touch it, though, Chris, in case you want to do it?
N/A

Now the FUP is active will PN be adapting the Monthly Usage to show the split on Peak and Off-Peak usage? I do feel this is essential so we all have some way of ensuring we stay within the terms of the FUP whichever option we're on.
csogilvie
Grafter

The FUP is not yet active, and won't be until the View My Usage page is fixed.
N/A

OK thanks, but now I'm really confused! The reason is that I received an email from PN last week telling me the FUP was active from 14th April. Was this sent in error or was it incorrect?
N/A

At the time, it was correct.

However, during the maintenance slot assighed for this work on the 14th, problems where found with the rollout process.

As such, plusNet suspended implimenting the FUP until further notice (IE, when they can fix it).

A Service Status update went out regarding this.
Lanzo
Dabbler

This should probably be edited to include the new information and exchange upgrade PDF. I didn't want to touch it, though, Chris, in case you want to do it?

Is this the list of roll-out of BT exchange upgrades you're referring to. If so, I'd be pleased to learn when my exchange is to be upgraded. Any chance of posting the link to this pdf?
Thanks
N/A

he PDF can be found HERE
N/A

regrade to 2mb

I have recently regraded to 2mb pay as you go and had the email from cust support to say all is done. I have done a speed test and all I am getting is 948.60kbps so only just above previous speeds. I am useing zoom x3 modem us robotics wireless turbo access point and router I have setup dr tcp any suggestions?
N/A

he PDF can be found HERE

Is there an easy way of finding out what exchange you're on, along with the exchange code so one can easily find it on the pdf?
N/A

Go to the usertools site, and type in your phone number.
N/A

why is it i haven't yet been upgraded yet, when BT customers in my area have been upgraded to 2mb in april? :? :shock:
N/A

test

just tesing cant get piccy under my name Cry
N/A

So what went wrong? My switch (CMALL) should have been upgraded in june but I am still on the old 512. The switch is a stone's throw away and my SNR and ATT figures are excellent so ..... WHEN...? :?
N/A

BT is what went wrong.

They are running well behind schedule with many exchanges across the country.

Unfortunately, as usual, there is no real indication of when those who have been delayed will be upgraded.

Short of paying to queue jump there is not a lot you can do.