Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Speed Problems - Report them here

Ianwild
Grafter

Hi Folks,

Over the last month, we have received an increasing number of reports in relation to ADSL speed problems. This thread is here to allow you to discuss this and for us to investigate any speed problems on your line - It is a replacement for other threads on this subject and unless you read those in full we would be very grateful if you could note all of the information included here before posting about a speed problem.

We are taking these reports very seriously and in the last week we have made some progress on diagnosing various reported speed problems, but we are still unsure about the exact cause of many reported issues, which is why we are asking for the help of users who are experiencing slowdowns or latency. With the help of Chris (Eurotrain4), we have produced a web based form which will allow you to provide us with consistent details about your particular problem. Depending on the nature of your fault you can then post those details to this thread and / or log the problem with support.

Expected Speeds

On the BT ADSL (IPStream) products, we currently see our customers achieving the following kind of speeds at most times:
    512K - 59 KB/sec Down, 29.5 KB/sec Up
    1MB - 118 KB/sec Down, 29.5 KB/sec Up
    2MB - 238 KB/sec Down, 29.5 KB/sec Up

Some variations at busy times and for customers using RADSL (More than 3.5KM from their exchange) are normal. Where these speeds are not being achieved, our first priority is to categorise the speed problems into priority order, so we can manage our diagnosis efficiently:

Severe Problems:

This is where your connection is unusable at all times due to speed or latency for more than 30 minutes a day.

Please post details of your output from the form as a reply to this thread And as a Contact Us ticket. We will prioritise diagnosis and repair of all severe problems.

Moderate Problems:

This is where your connection slows down to below 50% of it's maximum value (ie 512Kbps customers getting below 250Kbps) for more than 30 minutes in a day. This would also be the category that frequent stalling or high latency on your connection would fit into.

You should post the output from the form here and we will advise on the next course of action.

Annoying Problems

This fits customers who have noticed a decrease in available speeds, but where the download speeds remains above 50% of the maximum potential speed. These are likely to be the most common complaints and we are hoping that by resolving the severe and moderate problems that we also fix these. Once we have dealt with the other issues we will investigate these problems on a case by case basis. Please do post the results of the form here but at this stage we won't be able to log your fault with BT.

In all of the above cases, when you post to this thread please indicate how serious you think your problems is. Rest assured that we will take all of these cases seriously - The catogories are arbitary and simply allow us to group the type of problem you have...

What causes speed problems?

Speed problems can result from problems at many different points within your ADSL connection. These include:

• Exchange Contention - Explained Here
  • Full throttle uploading
  • Spyware or a Virus infection - Please triple check for this by running the On line checker http://housecall.antivirus.com
  • Distributed Denial of Service against your IP address
  • Faulty or over capacity DSLAM at the Exchange - Description of a DSLAM
  • PlusNet's own Internet and ADSL 'central' bandwidth
  • Mis-configured customer equipment (ie MTU values set too high or too low)
  • Noisy Phone Line
  • BT's ATM ADSL network (Called Collosus)
  • The destination site, or the route to it.
  • P2P software resulting in too many inbound connections (A problem with some routers on higher speed accounts).

The only way we can fix a problem is to identify where abouts it is occurring. That is why it is so important that you provide all the information requested on the form, so that we can rule things out as well as ruling things in!

Before reporting a problem with speed here, we need you to ensure that you have done as much as possible to rule out a problem at your end. Please check your logs and also run the suggested housecall virus checker - It can't hurt and the results might surprise you! Also, failure to do so may result in BT charging you £50 + VAT if the fault is found to be with your own setup after a BT engineer has attended.

So then, this thread replaces the others where we have discussed speed. We would be very grateful if all users who had reported problems previously could complete the form at http://cgi.ianwild.com/faultreporting/ and then post the results back here along with an indication from you as to what category of severity your problem fits into. This is still something of a work in progress and may be tweaked further in the next few days, so if you have any comments then please do let us know.

With Regards,

Ian
373 REPLIES
N/A

Filled in the form. Only problem was, WinMTR won't work! I get this message: "Unable to get raw socket". Double dutch to me.
N/A

speed

b]Traceroute Results: View Traceroutes
Traceroute Time (24 Hour): 18:41 to 19:19
Traceroute Duration: 38 minutes
Traceroute Packet Size: 128 bytes
Packetloss in Traceroute?: Yes
Exchange: Slough main (Berkshire)
Problem: Other (Please explain below)
Other Problem Experienced: Slow web, Slow downloads,except Windows update can get 205kbps any time
This is between the hours of about 8am through till 7.59am the next day
Duration of Problem: More than 1 week
Minimum Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 1771 kbps
Maximum Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 1901 kbps
Average Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 1836 kbps
Account: ADSL Home Worker - 2mb (20:1)
Ticket Number: None
Additional Information: In the early hours of the morning things can speed up but not to the full amount.
I have tried all different tweaks.
I would say for about 18 hours a day the speed reported by either Nildram or ADSLguide is below 1.4mb and sometimes as low as0.9mb.
I have been also getting CRC errors Here\'s a paste from me router

Line Condition

Auto Refresh

Protocol ADSL State Showtime
Data Path Fast
Operation Mode G.DMT

Downstream Upstream
Line Status ADSL Link Speed 2272 kbps 288 kbps
SNR 24.5 dB 11.0 dB
ATEN 33 dB 19 dB
Line Error ADSL layer FEC 0 65535
CRC 111 65535
ATM layer HEC 49 65534
Frame Counter -1354182 -3891845
N/A

Traceroute Results: View Traceroutes
Traceroute Time (24 Hour): 22:29 to 22:34
Traceroute Duration: 5 minutes
Traceroute Packet Size: 64 bytes
Exchange: medway
Problem: Permanently Slow Data Transfer (Everything is slow)
Duration of Problem: More than 1 week
Minimum Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 440 kbps
Maximum Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 502 kbps
Average Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 471 kbps
Account: ADSL Home Surf (50:1)
Ticket Number: 8632506
Additional Information: line capable of 2mg, have been getting an average file download speed of 57-60, this has now dropped to 48-52.
N/A

Traceroute Time (24 Hour): 22:15 to 22:53
Traceroute Duration: 38 minutes
Exchange: Highworth
Problem: Peak-Time Slow Data Transfer (Everything is slow during peak times)
Other Problem Experienced: Extremely variable d/l speeds as well as long delays before web pages load.
Duration of Problem: Since installation
Minimum Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 332 kbps
Maximum Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 947 kbps
Average Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 639.5 kbps
Account: ADSL Home (Self Install) - 1mb (50:1)
Additional Information: Was stable before switch from ADSL Home 512 to ADSL Home 1Mb. Speeds extremely variable ever since.

Router: Draytek Vigor 2600
SNR Margin: 36.5
Loop Attenuation: 19.5
Ianwild
Grafter

This information is even more useful than I expected. Please, keep it coming all of you... Special thanks to Eurotrain4 for all his work in getting the form just how we need it!

If you can't get the traceroutes now, that isn't a problem, but I will change the link tomorrow so it points to a more stable version of WinMTR. Please still complete and post the rest of the form - you can then just use the same page again later to upload new traceroutes and edit your post with the additonal links.

I also realise I got the "severity" levels / descrptions wrong and I will make these more appropriate to the issues tomorrow.

Again, can I request that everyone still seeing difficulties now reports it here and in the format generated by the speed reporting form. I will ensure that this thread gets some publicity tomorrow - The more data we can get the better.

Thanks again for taking the time to present the information like this - The new format will really assist us in analysing and getting to the bottom of the issues.

Regards,

Ian

Moderators note (John) Spelling in the link url corrected for you
N/A

Traceroute Time (24 Hour): 05:10 to 05:20
Traceroute Duration: 10 minutes
Exchange: Highworth
Problem: Latency / Choke
Duration of Problem: Since installation
Minimum Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 928 kbps
Maximum Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 937 kbps
Average Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 932.5 kbps
Account: ADSL Home (Self Install) - 1mb (50:1)
Additional Information: Early morning test. Downloads good. Web page stuttering. ag2 is the first hop.

Router: Draytek Vigor 2600
SNR Margin: 36.5
Loop Attenuation: 19.5
N/A

Traceroute Time (24 Hour): 08:21 to 08:22
Traceroute Duration: 1 minutes
Exchange: MILE END
Problem: Permanently Slow Data Transfer (Everything is slow)
Duration of Problem: More than 2 weeks
Minimum Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 36.7 kbps
Maximum Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 471.6 kbps
Average Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 254.15 kbps
Account: ADSL Home (Self Install) - 512kb (50:1)
Additional Information: None
N/A

One thing, when posting your traceroute on the form, could you please make sure that you use the "Copy HTML to Clipboard" button. It makes them much easier to read Smiley
N/A

Traceroute Time (24 Hour): 11:10 to 11:30
Traceroute Duration: 20 minutes
Exchange: St. Peters
Problem: Latency / Choke
Duration of Problem: More than 2 weeks
Minimum Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 460 kbps
Maximum Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 492.8 kbps
Average Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 476.4 kbps
Account: ADSL Home Surf (50:1)
Additional Information: I'm finding that when I try and open a web page there is a lag before it will load. This happens intermittently.
Ianwild
Grafter

Additional Information: I'm finding that when I try and open a web page there is a lag before it will load. This happens intermittently.

Can you post what DNS servers your machine is being assigned and also advise as to what browser you are using and whether you have tried another?

How long is the delay for the page loads normally?

Cheers,

Ian
N/A

Can you post what DNS servers your machine is being assigned and also advise as to what browser you are using and whether you have tried another?

How long is the delay for the page loads normally?

Cheers,

Ian

Ian
I'm assuming that these are my numbers. I got them from my connection details.

Primary DNS Server (ADSL) 212.159.13.49
Secondary DNS Server (ADSL) 212.159.13.50

IE6

I haven't tried any other browsers. Would this require a download and mega messing about setting it up?

The delay can be between 20 seconds and 45 seconds. Sometimes I have to shut the page down and reload it before it opens. Using this forum it can take 20 seconds to change from one page to another.
N/A

Try Mozilla Firebird browser, it's dead easy to setup and if you don't like it it's just as easy to get rid of. Loads much quicker than I.E and has fewer hang up problems, using XP home.

Do a Google search as i can't remember the link. Sad
N/A

I think what you've said there is just from the customer support page isn't it?

To find your computers current DNS settings do the following:

[list=1]
  • Click Start
  • Click Run
  • Type cmd in the small window and press enter
  • In the window which appears type ipconfig /all[/listShocked]

Somewhere in those details should be two DNS servers, that's what Ian's after Smiley
  • N/A