cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Setup

N/A

ADSL Setup

hi i have just signed up for adsl and its at the stage where BT are activating the line. Currently i have 2 phone sockets, one downstairs which a phone is conencted to and another upstairs.

I understand that the socket downstairs will need a spliiter on it, however the socket upstairs has a device ( unsure what it is called!) which splits the socket in 2, one for my telephone and another which i have an extension lead plugged into which goes to my PC (in another room). Am i right in thinking that i simply need to plug the adsl splitter into the main line socket and then simply plug my socket splitter ( the device which i previously shoved my phone and extension lead into) into the adsl splitter?
i hope you understand this, if not i'll just experiment when my line is activated etc and i'll just go from there. cheers
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ADSL Setup

Regardless of the amount of points you have, wherever you have a phone plugged in, you need to use a splitter.

> hi i have just signed up for adsl and its at the stage where BT are activating the line. Currently i have 2 phone sockets, one downstairs which a phone is conencted to and another upstairs.
>
> I understand that the socket downstairs will need a spliiter on it, however the socket upstairs has a device ( unsure what it is called!) which splits the socket in 2, one for my telephone and another which i have an extension lead plugged into which goes to my PC (in another room). Am i right in thinking that i simply need to plug the adsl splitter into the main line socket and then simply plug my socket splitter ( the device which i previously shoved my phone and extension lead into) into the adsl splitter?
> i hope you understand this, if not i'll just experiment when my line is activated etc and i'll just go from there. cheers

N/A

> hi i have just signed up for adsl and its at the stage where BT are activating the line. Currently i have 2 phone sockets, one downstairs which a phone is conencted to and another upstairs.
>
> A lot of folks - quite reasonably - do not understand the function of the ADSL filter/splitter. It should have no effect at all on your ADSL connection it is purely to filter out any of the high frequency components from the telephone (audio)system to save annoyance from interference.
N/A

Quote--
Am i right in thinking that i simply need to plug the adsl splitter into the main line socket and then simply plug my socket splitter ( the device which i previously shoved my phone and extension lead into) into the adsl splitter?
---

Hi

The rule to remember is that the ADSL line must not be filtered, in other words the line for ADSL must not have been through the normal phone socket of a filter/splitter anywhere along its run. The splitter/filter has two sockets, one a normal phone jack, this is **filtered** to stop the noise of ADSL being heard on your phone, the other is a straight through connection using a smaller plug, this is **unfiltered** letting the ADSL signal through and just connects internally in the splitter directly to the line.

What you seem to be saying is the extension wiring will run of the phone jack on the splitter. This means that everything on that extension wire is filtered, there will be no ADSL signal on that extension anywhere. This is perfect if you do not need to run ADSL from that extension as you can plug phones in without a filter as the ADSL signal has already been removed, but if you do want ADSL from that extension it will not work as the ADSL signal has been filtered off way back at the master socket.

If you want to run ADSL from the extension wiring you will need to leave it plugged in as is to the main master socket. Then you will need a filter for each phone you use on that extension.

Regards

Leigh