cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Setup Problem

N/A

ADSL Setup Problem

I'm trying to connect for the first time to the broadband service.

I have a Linksys WAG54G wireless modem/gateway/firewall and a wireless USB access point.

I actually can't connect to the internet at all (on dial-up posting this). My pc is communicating to the modem but the modem isn't connecting to the internet.

I have put the correct settings into my modembut I'm slighty confused about the username and password.

I've been told to use username@plusdsl.net and i've been told to use username-plusdsl.net, which one should it be (btw, tried both and neither seem to work!). As for my password it seems to reset itself to another password when I try to save my settings - my password is 8 letters long but after I save the settings it appears to be double that ...

I need help ...

ps. using WinXP Pro
14 REPLIES
N/A

ADSL Setup Problem

The username to use is username@plusdsl.net , the -plusdsl.net is a fault with the portal (soon to be resolved.)
As for the password, it may show a series of "stars" which do not relate to the length of your password. It is normal to mask password lengths this way.

It is always a good idea to get the connection working using a wired connection first.

Is the modem syncronising with the exchange ?
Have you followed the wiring a ADSL troubleshooting?
http://users.plus.net/tutorials/id/10
http://users.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

I do not know the modem in questions, but some will indicate at what point the connection is failing in the log, such as CHAP failure, password failure etc.
N/A

ADSL Setup Problem

Ok I finally got it working now.

Only problem is the speed is down to 1Mbps ?!

Thanks for your help
N/A

ADSL Setup Problem

I assume, frm your comment, you are on 2Mb connection ??

Still go through the troubleshooting mentioned above and also check if your exchange is currently "over capacity"
http://users.plus.net/exchanges/

What speed test are you using to determine the speed.?

Have you done anything with MTU's on the router & network adapters.?
N/A

ADSL Setup Problem

Hi

I'm on a 512 connection but when I highlight the wireless connection icon (next to my clock) it says 1mbps but I'm assuming it should display 54mbps as i'm using 802.11g (54Mbps) equipment.

I haven't done anything with MTU's or anything else.

Cheers
N/A

ADSL Setup Problem

You connection speed indicated , will not normally be your speed with ADSL, just your connection speed on your local area network.
N/A

ADSL Setup Problem

Ok I finally got it working now.

Only problem is the speed is down to 1Mbps ?!

Thanks for your help

You did confuse matters with that comment. Natural assumption would be you were talking about your DSL connection.

I cannot help you with the wireless side.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

ADSL Setup Problem

Hi,

The 1Mbps speed is the speed of the wireless connection. There's a lot things that can influence this speed including the placement of the router in relation to the PC, the driver settings and even the angle of the aerials.
With wireless connections there are places where the signal is stronger and places where it is weaker, there are even blind spots. Your router manual may show the areas of signal strength and from that a bit of trial and error will get the best speed.
N/A

ADSL Setup Problem

liquidsun - your problem with the 1mbps was something I experienced with my WAN.

Unfortunately the fools at Linksys never bothered to tell anyone that the software CD that comes with the WUSB54G wireless stick *should not be installed* if you are running Windows XP, that CD is only for Win2k.

I found this info from trawling google groups, here is how I fixed the problem:

1) Go into your Control Panel on Windows XP, go to Add/Remove Programs, remove the WUSB54G software.

2) Your wireless stick will now have no driver, go to your System Properteis > Hardware > Device Manager > Network Adapters

3) Bring up the tabbed window for your WUSB54G and click the Driver tab, then click 'Roll Back Driver'.

That will have removed the software which apparently interferes with Windows settings but still keeps the driver, now you should see your speed at 54mbps instead of 1mbps.

While mine was on 1mbps I was getting loads of WAN disconnections and while copying files from my XP to my Apple iBook (Airport Extreme) it was crashing both systems. Since fixing it with the above method I have had no problems and my XP and iBook live happily ever after in wireless land.

HTH

Pete
N/A

ADSL Setup Problem

Hi

I tried what you suggested but after I removed the WUSB54G from add/remove I couldn't find it in system-device manager, all I could see was my disabled onboard LAN connection.

And obviously because I removed the drivers for the usb device I couldn't connect to the internet.

Thanks anyway
N/A

ADSL Setup Problem

OK, download the driver from Linksys for the WUSB54G then try removing it, unplug your USB cable then put it back in, then rather than install using the CD just browse to the driver you previously downloaded.

Having had the same problem as you and then fixing it, I would assume this fix will be valid for you too.

Pete
N/A

ADSL Setup Problem

Right I deleted the driver then unplugged the usb, and had the pc auto detect it again. I installed only the driver and not the monitor and it's working!

Only problem now is I'm only getting an average speed of 24 Mbps.

One other concern was the fact that when I plugged the usb wireless device in the little message told me that I was using a high speed usb adapter in a non-high speed usb port ?!

Any ideas on that one?

Thanks for the help!
Community Veteran

ADSL Setup Problem

You are probably pluging the device into a USB 1.1 port instead of the much faster USB 2 port. The USB1.1 supports speeds upto 12Mbs and USB 2 upto 480Mbs so this may be limiting the speed you can achieve.

If you only use the wireless to connect to the internet via your router then USB 1.1 speeds are still way above what you can achieve on ADSL only so your browsing won't be effected by running at 24Mbs.
N/A

ADSL Setup Problem

The warning you get is identical to what I got due to the reasons explained by Peter Vaughan. I believe you can buy USB 2 card to allow for USB2 but I'm not sure whether that is possible with every system.

Not sure why you are only seeing speeds of 24mbps mine shows 54mbps but sometimes drops to 28 and 36 now and then.

Pete
N/A

ADSL Setup Problem

At least it works now Smiley

Thanks again.