cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Service Announcement

N/A

ADSL Service Announcement

Update on ADSL Service Issues

Over recent days a number of our customers have been experiencing increasing difficulties with their ADSL connections. The difficulties reported have included:

* Connection is slower than previously experienced
* Inability to connect to ADSL at the first attempt
* ADSL is connecting with no data transfer

In addition to the problems already reported relating to equipment in BT exchanges. These issues have also been exacerbated by the performance of the
ADSL router ('Home Gateway') that is supplied to us by BT.

This router is significantly under-performing against the BT ADSL specification and cannot provide the service required. A lack of contention at the BT exchange has led to this situation developing, an issue that has also affected other ISPs.

To remedy this we are installing a new 155MB 'fat pipe' which in addition to establishing greater capacity is also delivered over a router with greater performance capability. Consequently BT have assured us that our ADSL service delivery will resume to the high quality levels we expect from a Broadband service.

We are committed to providing the best levels of service. Over the coming months a minimum further three 155MB ADSL pipes are also scheduled to be installed by BT. In doing this we have deliberately planned an "over-specified" ADSL supply so that our level of supply constantly remains above the demand placed on the BT ADSL infrastructure.

Our Support Centre is currently very busy as a result of the number of questions relating to these issues. Any further information relating to this situation will be posted on the service status section of our web site as soon as we have it.

(http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2).

Currently we are on track to commission the 1st 155MB "fat pipe" this coming Friday. If there is any further impact on BT's ability to meet this latest target date, further announcements will be made in Service Status.

Should you require support for any other issue, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us via "Contact Us" on our Portal, or via our usual local-rate number.

We understand that the current situation is not acceptable, and would like to reassure you that it is temporary, and will be resolved very shortly.

Regards,

Customer Support
8 REPLIES
rslsys
Grafter

RE: ADSL Service Announcement

> In addition to the problems already reported relating to equipment in BT exchanges. These issues have also been exacerbated by the performance of the
> ADSL router ('Home Gateway') that is supplied to us by BT.
>
> This router is significantly under-performing against the BT ADSL specification and cannot provide the service required. A lack of contention at the BT exchange has led to this situation developing, an issue that has also affected other ISPs.

Will you be seeking compensation from BT for their under-performing router? Will this compensation subsequently be passed on to your users?Huh
N/A

This problem has been going on for at least a month to my knowledge. It is realy starting to anoy me. I was unsure if it was just me with a poor connection of if was affecting us all, but now I know.
N/A

Well the concise explantaion of the Problems is very much appereciated by me.
I am new to ADSL and guess that my change over from ISDN to ADSL last month is one of the reasons there are now major issues.
My main use for my PC and ADSL is for online gaming and I have to say that my enjoyment has been seriously effected. The dream of changing from my pretty stable ISDN to the fantastic ADSL has certainly not been what I expected as I have very poor fluctuating ping generally and am unable to use Game Voice for Team games.
I think that the news that the problems will be resolved this Friday are very welcome and look forward to getting the benefits I had hoped for.

If the problems are not resolved I guess I will be writing here again very soon.

--
Regards,
Dave
N/A

forgetting the cost issue,

ISDN is better allround, and especially for gaming. I would have thought.

but cost is the killer. depends on the usage levels I guess.

N/A

I have been on ADSL with plus net quite a while, but over the last month or so the quality of service has definitely gone down.
Each time BT or someone else are to blame, but most of the problems seem to be ones any computer department would BAU deal with BEFORE it effects customers.
For example
1) last month outage for about half a day because the connection went down and the backup did not kick in. --- Wasn't this tested, most fallover backups get tested.... has it been fixed so it won't happen again?
2) router or bandwidth from BT is not up to spec. --- This seems to have been know about for quite some time. If so how come it is getting worse now - are plusnet over selling. Would it be reasonable to ask for money back as plusnet can't deliver the service they themselve expect to deliverHuh

This isn't a go at plusnet, but there are friends of mine which are now looking at ADSL. I think the features of plusnet ADSL are very good, but the delivery (in the last two months especially) is not as it should be.

4 times in the last two days I have had problems getting web access - but could get on plusnet site.

Are these problems really going to be solved this weekend?
--
N/A

HI,
Well you may be a little suprised that I only saved £6.00 per mpmth by changing from ISDN to ADSL and along with the costs of doing so I would say there is little saved if any over the first year.
Certainly ISDN is a better overall cannection to +Net ADSL at the moment, however all my friends connecting with Blue Yonder Cable Modem and BT ADSL have found immprovement in every area.
Don't look good for +Net unless their above statement gets backed up.
--
Regards,
Dave
N/A

> Update on ADSL Service Issues
as for problems i have just ben told that my exchange has a problem and BT have to sort that means upto 48hrs offline,not very happy,had to go back to dial up. what happens when this account is finished?at the moment dialup is tried and tested,no slur on +net it seems it is all adsl suppliers

>
> Over recent days a number of our customers have been experiencing increasing difficulties with their ADSL connections. The difficulties reported have included:
>
> * Connection is slower than previously experienced
> * Inability to connect to ADSL at the first attempt
> * ADSL is connecting with no data transfer
>
> In addition to the problems already reported relating to equipment in BT exchanges. These issues have also been exacerbated by the performance of the
> ADSL router ('Home Gateway') that is supplied to us by BT.
>
> This router is significantly under-performing against the BT ADSL specification and cannot provide the service required. A lack of contention at the BT exchange has led to this situation developing, an issue that has also affected other ISPs.
>
> To remedy this we are installing a new 155MB 'fat pipe' which in addition to establishing greater capacity is also delivered over a router with greater performance capability. Consequently BT have assured us that our ADSL service delivery will resume to the high quality levels we expect from a Broadband service.
>
> We are committed to providing the best levels of service. Over the coming months a minimum further three 155MB ADSL pipes are also scheduled to be installed by BT. In doing this we have deliberately planned an "over-specified" ADSL supply so that our level of supply constantly remains above the demand placed on the BT ADSL infrastructure.
>
> Our Support Centre is currently very busy as a result of the number of questions relating to these issues. Any further information relating to this situation will be posted on the service status section of our web site as soon as we have it.
>
> (http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2).
>
> Currently we are on track to commission the 1st 155MB "fat pipe" this coming Friday. If there is any further impact on BT's ability to meet this latest target date, further announcements will be made in Service Status.
>
> Should you require support for any other issue, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us via "Contact Us" on our Portal, or via our usual local-rate number.
>
> We understand that the current situation is not acceptable, and would like to reassure you that it is temporary, and will be resolved very shortly.
>
> Regards,
>
> Customer Support

N/A

Well Credit where it's due!
I have posted complaints about the poor ADSL connection in various parts of these forums. However Plus Net have been true to their word with the new pipe.
I have had a terrible month of connections, but this weekend my Game Voice connection was excellent and clear and my ping in games was 25 - 35. Sorted! :rollsmile:

Now I have the benefit of a proper ADSL connection I would recommend it to anyone. Just hope Plus Net can keep this up.
Cheers!
--
Regards,
Dave