cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL, PlusNet and Macs

N/A

ADSL, PlusNet and Macs

I am considering switching from a PC to a Mac. I currently use a Speedtouch 530 router connctted by an Ethernet cable, and wondered if it was as simple as plugging in the router to the Mac, and then configuring the Mac with my broadband username and password?
19 REPLIES
craigbrass
Grafter

ADSL, PlusNet and Macs

It should work fine as its an ethernet cable your connecting. You may have to set the default gateway to the modem's internal IP though like I had to do at work with our graphics designer's computer.
N/A

ADSL, PlusNet and Macs

Sorry to be thick, but do you mean the address that I type in to configure the router, http://10.0.0.138?
craigbrass
Grafter

ADSL, PlusNet and Macs

Yea, thats right for that modem I think. Try it without setting it first (as in plugging in ethernet cable and rebooting machine) and if not, manually set the gateway.
N/A

ADSL, PlusNet and Macs

The speedtouch 530 is a USB/Ethernet. The USB driver is apparently compatible with Mac OS X but ethernet is by far the best way on the Mac. Just plug it in. Go to the TCP/IP settings (System preferences/Network). Enter the following settings

IP address 10.0.0.139 (or any address on this subnet)
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
router 10.0.0.138

DNS server 212.159.11.150

click apply now and you should be surfing.

Typing 10.0.0.138 into safari or internet explorer will take you to the speedtouch setup page.

Welcome to Apple.

Raj
N/A

Welcome

Welcome to stability Smiley and the easiest OS to use.
N/A

ADSL, PlusNet and Macs

Stability is one reason I want to change. Also, my wife is into digital photography and I am into video editing and electronic music. So why not get the best tool for the job!
N/A

ADSL, PlusNet and Macs

If your looking for stability .... don't use plus.net ..... they are link:censored

[Moderators note by csogilvie: Removed deliberate attempt to bypass swear filter]
N/A

ADSL, PlusNet and Macs

Hi withersdale,

Rather than hijacking other threads with inaccurate information and attempts to bypass the swear filter, would it not be better posting the details of your problem and maybe some of us could decipher what the problem is and perhaps help with it.

These boards are family orientated and swearing is not permitted.
N/A

for the attention of withersdale

Plus.Net in my opinion has been extremely stable since connecting in March 04. I have never had any problems with either the connection or the service being delivered.

If you want anguish and troublesome customer service, perhaps join Bulldog.

As for the potential switchers, do it. If you are looking to do photo editing, bump the memory up to 1Gb. I have a PowerMac G4 with 320Mb memory and a Powerbook with 1Gb memory. The PowerMac flies for most things despite being over 5 years old but when it comes to image manipulation, its a bit slow. The powerbook just flies with everything.
Community Veteran

ADSL, PlusNet and Macs

If your looking for stability .... don't use plus.net ..... they are <a href="http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/faq.php#1">[censored]</a>

[Moderators note by csogilvie: Removed deliberate attempt to bypass swear filter]

If they are that bad why not leave?
N/A

ADSL, PlusNet and Macs

If they are that bad why not leave?

What .... and get hammered for all the extra cost's ..... not likely matey ..... and they'll tell you you can't leave cos you signed a 12 month contract ...... smart alec :roll:
N/A

ADSL, PlusNet and Macs

Was it not your own choice to do so?

This was an option prosented to you, and you chose the 12 month one.
N/A

ADSL, PlusNet and Macs

Foolishly ...... I thought it would actually work so signed up for 12 months ...... obviously I got that one wrong.
N/A

ADSL, PlusNet and Macs

You could have cancelled within 14 days (ubnder the various consumer protection laws) if you were not happy. Also PN offer a 45 day Satisfaction Guarantee.