Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL PCI Starter Pack

N/A

ADSL PCI Starter Pack

Starter Pack = £95.30
Monthly Sub. = £22.99

Total Setup cost and first month = £118.29

Firstly I'd like to point out that i'm an expert user and a Certified PC Engineer so I naturally make it my job/hobby to understand new PC technologies and can advise people on hardware and such.

As quoted by PlusNET:
"Included in your Starter Pack is the activation of your telephone line for Broadband ADSL. Usual price - £50 (£58.75 inc VAT)"

Lets say, £95.30 minus "activation included" which equals £36.55 is what's left to pay for modem and splitters. I would have to say that the reason PlusNET can offer this discount is because the Connexant chipset-based modem supplied is simply the cheapest type on sale at the moment and in my experience, the least compatable with most systems especially XP. There's about an actual saving of around £10-15 in that starter pack cost to be fair.

I recently helped a mate get started with ADSL who signed up for the starter back which a 'new user' would expert to "be compatable and work with their system because PlusNET recommend it". The modem not only failed to connect but when it eventually did would unreliably not reconnect if made to.

I used my Alcatel Speeedtouch PCI (ITex Apollo2 chipset-based) ADSL modem on his PC and as expected it "just worked" as it does on mine - connects v. reliably, fully compatable with xp using updated drivers.

My advice to any 'new users of ADSL' is to NOT get the startup pack and get your hardware elsewhere such as www.dslsource.co.uk and get some 'proper' modems (that you'll have for a long while all the way up to 8mbits when available), so you want to buy it right the first time.

Ps.

It's unfortunate that PlusNET think any old Connexant-based modem will do for most new customers of ADSL when there's clearly a compatability problem with some systems.
1 REPLY
N/A

RE: ADSL PCI Starter Pack

> Starter Pack = £95.30
> Monthly Sub. = £22.99
>
> Total Setup cost and first month = £118.29
>

Just to ammend to previous post...

There is more cost that I first read, it should have read:

Option 1
Starter Pack (annual contract) = £106.30
P+P = £4.69
Monthly Subscription = £22.99

Total Setup cost and first month = £133.98

Option 2
Starter Pack (monthly contract) = £95.30
P+P = £4.69
Monthly Subscription = £22.99

Total Setup cost and first month = £122.98

Would just like to finish by saying i've been using the ADSL service since the April (fool) 2002 prices cuts which costed me around £170 setup for separate activation, first month and hardware in total. Just to point out, theres not much saving in setup costs in over 6 months since.