cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Modem

RichardL
Grafter

ADSL Modem

I have three pcs networked together, two wired and one wireless using a Linksys Wireless Broadband Router in anticipation of my forthcoming broadband connection. All are running Win xp and everthing appears to be working ok.
The diagram with this router shows a DSL modem connected to it via an ethernet cable, however PlusNet with their kits do not provide such a modem, and checking suppliers they appear rather thin on the ground. Could someone please clarify this for me and suggest a modem?
4 REPLIES
N/A

ADSL Modem

N/A

ADSL Modem

Hi,

Can I maybe clarify simply - though I haven't seen the diagrams you quote.

The router will actually have a modem "built-in" - it connects to the telephone line one side and is ethernet on the other - i.e. no need for a separate modem.
N/A

ADSL Modem

Oops... that's a bit of an assumption if you've already got a router of another sort.
N/A

ADSL Modem

PPS - if there isn't a huge difference between the cost of a suitable modem and another router then the router "package" might still be best. You can have "layered " firewalls and almost endless configuration options. Cheesy

Sounds like you wouldn't have too many config. problems given what you've already managed to set up and get working.