cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Modem

N/A

ADSL Modem

I have just signed with plusnet and am in the process of getting a ADSL Modem, I wondered if anyone had any recommendations.

Regards Andy Perry
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ADSL Modem

> I have just signed with plusnet and am in the process of getting a ADSL Modem, I wondered if anyone had any recommendations.
>
> Regards Andy Perry

I actually bought the Freeserve home connection kit which includes the Alcatel Speed Touch Modem. Freeserve messed me about so much I eventually came across to Plusnet, kept the kit (£80)which allows you to load on the modem only (just ignore the second stage which loads on the freeserve stuff) and away you go, great modem no hassel installing,very fast and reliable.

andrew
Ps. If you try and buy the modem by itself it may cost you £100!
N/A

> I have just signed with plusnet and am in the process of getting a ADSL Modem, I wondered if anyone had any recommendations.
>
> Regards Andy Perry

Me too! I found this site to be best for buying ADSL kit (specifically a router):

http://www.riskfree.co.uk/shop/default.asp?producttype=ROUTER

and this site good all round:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

Incidently, my ADSL will be via a modem/router into a network of 2x iMacs and a PeeCee.

Any recommendations?

Regards

Hugh

--
N/A

>
> Incidently, my ADSL will be via a modem/router into a network of 2x iMacs and a PeeCee.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Regards
>
> Hugh
>

I just bought a Connexant Ethernet/USB ADSL Router for £85 at a computer fair. it came with all the cables, drivers and one microfilter. It allows you to connect an ethernet hub to the router so it should be no problem to connect your 2 imacs and 1 pc. You can by a network starter kit consisting of a 4 port hub and a few NICs for £30 or £40
One word of warning, however. Configuring a router is not easy. it took me several hours to suss it out thanks to the excellent help from PlusNet support
G'luck
Brian

rogermiller

>
> Regards Andy Perry

If all you want to do is connect one PC at minimum cost then I'd recommend the cheapo PCI modem from Dabs @ £41. Mine worked out of the box with Win98. My motivation for getting it was partly that I haven't got a spare USB port and I was too mean to buy a USB hub. (BTW Be careful of the Dabs microfilters. I understand that their recent batch was defective.)