cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Modem with Linux

N/A

ADSL Modem with Linux

Anyone any ideas of setting up an ADSL modem for Linux, SuSe or mandrake?

Thanks

Peter C
14 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ADSL Modem with Linux

> Anyone any ideas of setting up an ADSL modem for Linux, SuSe or mandrake?

If you are thinking about the conexant pci modem from plusnet, you could try
http://www.digitaltrickery.com/conexant-pci-notes.html (that should all be on one line) to get you started. I'm afraid I haven't tried it myself - I decided to be lazy and get the router.

Good luck,

Stephen Isard
N/A

RE: ADSL Modem with Linux

> Anyone any ideas of setting up an ADSL modem for Linux, SuSe or mandrake?
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter C

Bought a Zoom ADSL X3 form PC World, works perfectly via a hub on different machines both with Windows and Linux (Redhat 7.3) .

The only fault with it (unresolved) is that the Phone Connection on the box does not seem to have any output. No Help from PC World except suggested I buy another filter (2 supplied + the one that supposed to work of X3) Also No response from Zoom with regard to this.

Harry G
N/A

ADSL Modem with Linux

Zoom x3 modem problem mentioned earlier post now resolved

harry.g
Mike_Grice
Grafter

Re: ADSL Modem with Linux

Anyone any ideas of setting up an ADSL modem for Linux, SuSe or mandrake?

Thanks

Peter C

IIRC, most major distributions come with full support for the Alcatel Speedtouch USB (the "green frog").

Personally, I'd get a router (this is also my preference for Windows). Getting a router leaves all the hassle of connection management to a seperate piece of kit, so your machines behind the router can get on with what they're best at.
N/A

ADSL Modem with Linux

Not done it yet since my line is still being setup by BT, but I'm going for an ethernet modem and a static IP so my linux PC 'gets' the static and lets me do NAT and firewall directly as opposed to getting a router to do it.

Don't suppose this is much different than using a USB modem, I'm just being overpicky about removing any load from the CPU caused by the USB stuff.

I'll be publishing what I end up doing to get it all working on my website which is moving soon so I won't publish the URL. If anyone wants it reply to this post and ask.

nry
N/A

ADSL Modem with Linux

Get yourself an ethernet based DSL router such as the Speedtouch, its easy to setup on Mandrake 9.1 which i have installed at the moment but im going back to my old love Slackware soon as ive decided Mandrake have made things to easy and my linux expertise is suffering because of it so i need to start getting my hands dirty again.

Stay away from USB is my advice, Ethernet is immediately supported by your Linux Distro so no real need for additional drivers.

Ali
N/A

ADSL Modem with Linux

Definatly get the router, having had the misfortune to get the USB option that plus net were providing (and after I was assured it would work with linux by a misguided employee) I have tried everything to get it working under linux. My options now simply are buy another router (shame after paying so much for this one only to have it be useless or force me to use an operating system I dont want to use). Or wait untill someone else I know signs up that likes windows get them to get the router and swap with them.
N/A

ADSL Modem with Linux

I totally agree with the router option, it also seems to improve connection speeds for some reason.

you can use the NAT and/or NAPT on the router for additional security and then bung an old PC running Smoothwall GPL (Free) between that and your network which gives you another NAT and a dedicated, hardened , firewall as well.

Security wise this seems to work fine as I have never had any "access blocked" alarms from zone alarm in the two months since setting my system up like this. In the three months prior to that I amassed a total in excess of 5800 blocked port scans and intrusion attempts of one form or another.

Tim
N/A

ADSL Modem with Linux

Router are an excelent peice of kit for DSL.

They provide multiple benfits, and are allmost 100% cross platform compatiable.

Routers use ethernet, which is totaly hardware based, and luckily doesn't require the computers CPU resources like USB and PCI based DSL modems (though USB network cards are different).

With USB and PCI, you are leaving the PC with 100% of the strain, to deal with the traffic, and conversions.

You don't need to dedicate a system, should you wish to share it accross multiple computers.

0seconds connect time when you wish to request a web-page (subject to downtime of the router, but with routers, it's only during natural outage).

There are hundreds of reasons why to choose ethernet over USB/PCI
N/A

ADSL Modem

I bought a D-Link DSL-604+ because I wanted both Ethernet and WiFi connections. The first model was faulty and I replaced it. The second model hasn't fallen over since I configured it, about four weeks ago.

The DSL-604 provides four Ethernet ports plus WiFi. I've got an Ethernet connection to my Linux box (RH 8.0) and a WiFi connection to my XP box. I'm about to try a WiFi to a Linux laptop...

Regards,

Mick
Mike_Grice
Grafter

Re: ADSL Modem

I bought a D-Link DSL-604+ because I wanted both Ethernet and WiFi connections. The first model was faulty and I replaced it. The second model hasn't fallen over since I configured it, about four weeks ago.

The DSL-604 provides four Ethernet ports plus WiFi. I've got an Ethernet connection to my Linux box (RH 8.0) and a WiFi connection to my XP box. I'm about to try a WiFi to a Linux laptop...

Regards,

Mick

Apparently WiFi under linux is stable now, but make sure you load the kernel modules in the right order (that is the main problem as far as I've read).
N/A

WiFi Under Linux

Dear Mike,

That's valuable advice. Do you happen to know which order? Can you point me to a source?

Regards,

Mick
N/A

WiFi Under Linux

Dear Mike,

That's valuable advice. Do you happen to know which order? Can you point me to a source?

Regards,

Mick
Mike_Grice
Grafter

Re: WiFi Under Linux

Dear Mike,

Regards,

Mick

Hi there,

It was a good while back now, sorry. There's plenty of Wireless info in the Gentoo forums though (example link here). I'm sure it was in the Gentoo forums... and generally they're a bunch of helpful guys/girls anyway!