cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Modem & Vista

N/A

ADSL Modem & Vista

Does anyone know of an ADSL Modem (preferably USB) which is compatible with Windows Vista?
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

ADSL Modem & Vista

Why don't you use a one port router
SCookie
Grafter

ADSL Modem & Vista

I've got the same problem as hebershouse, and I wasn't sure about holtlane's reply. Most of the devices I look at on manufacturer's sites don't appear to be Vista compatible. The Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List (Microsoft technet) is a bit difficult to wade through as well (for me at least). I don't need wireless, although it might be useful one day.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

ADSL Modem & Vista

The router doesn't need to be Vista compatible as you don't install anything on your PC all it doing is providing a feed to your network port.
What you do is connect through a network port and use the a web interface to setup the router then you can connect to the router via any PC
shellsong
Grafter

ADSL Modem & Vista

Ethernet based router/modems don't need to be on Vista's compatability list because, unlike USB devices, they're beyond it's intrusively incompetent jurisdiction!
Liam
Grafter

ADSL Modem & Vista

Wireless Routers are the way forwards! :-)
shellsong
Grafter

ADSL Modem & Vista

Until you get out of their range, or in a wireless black spot or someone else tunes another piece of equipment into the same channel(s)! Tongue
Isitme
Grafter

ADSL Modem & Vista

Most USB modems will be compatible with Vista, the problem is that drivers have not yet been written for the. Drivers are available for some Thomson models and no doubt others will become available.

Apart from keeping one for a backup, USB modems are a waste of time, the router/modem is the way to go and wired ones are very cheap now.
SCookie
Grafter

ADSL Modem & Vista

Got it. Thanks everyone!
N/A

ADSL Modem & Vista

One more thing ...the voyager 105 usb modem that plusnet ships, is NOT compatible with vista Wink
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

ADSL Modem & Vista

Hi,

It doesn't look like BT will be supplying updated Vista drivers for the 105, I believe there is a workaround to install it though. We are currently looking around for an alternative.
Simon_M
Grafter

ADSL Modem & Vista

Wireless Routers are the way forwards! :-)

Routers certainly, for all sorts of reasons. I wouldn't connect even a single computer via a USB modem given any sort of choice.

Also, of course, more routers = more 24/7 connections = more sessions needed = more centrals = more capacity. Cool

In another 12 months that argument will be irrelevant, because the demand for capacity is going to go up faster than the demand for sessions will, even if everyone has routers by then.
N/A

ADSL Modem & Vista

On the flip side, the more routers, the more sub-nets, the smaller the IP range that a ISP needs to provide for the same number of connections to the internet. I do agree though that session numbers are probably a more difficult issue to deal with from an ISP's point of view.
Didn't I hear PN introduced time-outs about fourteen months ago that closed your session if you hadn't used your connection for a while? We opted-out of this, I'm just curious if this is in fact being used.