cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Modem Wireless Router to another WIreless Router

N/A

Hi guys!

I've just got an ADLS Wireless Modem Router and have been using it... unfortunately the signal that we (4 of us spread out in the flat) are recieving is very weak!

This is not true for my wireless router that we were using before we had internet connection to play network games, where I usually recieve 11Mbps, in comparison with the ADSL wireless modem router which gave me only 5.5Mbps.

Also, I notice a biiig difference in internet connectivity when connected through Wireless (in 5.5Mbps), with a speed test of around 300-400kbps wherelse when I'm hooked through the modem router through a LAN cable, I can get a superb score of up to 1.8Mbps!! (my subscribed speed is 2Mbps)

So I was wondering: Is it possible to connect my Wireless Router to the Wireless ADSL modem router and use my Wireless Router to be a DHCP server etc?

Then: Wireless Router (gigabyte) -> Computers
Now: ADSL Wireless Modem Router (Spark) -> Computers
What I want: ADSL Wirelss Modem Router (spark) -> Wireless Router (gigabyte) -> Computers
4 REPLIES
wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

is the old device a real router, or simply a wireless access point?
If it's the latter, then simply connect it (you might need a crossover cable) to the adsl router.
Turn off the wireless in the adsl router and away you go. If you set the two wireless systems to different SSID's you could end up sharing the wireless bandwith better.
N/A

It's a full router, with DHCP service. Can i turn both on? Won't that somehow interfere with each other?

By the way, which DHCP service should I use from, the Wireless ADSL Modem Router or the Wireless Router?

Back to the question: It's a full wireless router. Is it still possible?
wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Probably! You only want one device as a DHCP server on the network.

It should work with two routers connected together - that's how the internet works, so it may be OK. If it were me, I would disable DHCP on the older wireless unit, manually give it an IP address and net mask for the LAN, give it a different SSID and Wifi Channel and try it.
Community Veteran

Also I think both routers must be on a different subnet. I.e. one on 192.168.0.X and the other on 192.168.1.X otherwise routing between them will not be possible. In this setup, you can have both using DHCP if you wanted to I think you can estict what router/network each of your PCs connects to via MAC codes.