cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Max

ihc77
Dabbler

ADSL Max

I was upgraded to ADSL Max on the 23rd. I haven't raised a ticket as it's not yet been 10 days, but it's not behaving as I expected.

There haven't been any speed fluctuations at all. Instead the download speed has been steady at 1841-1940Kbps, compared with 1922 &1948 before the change. The upload speed has increased from 247 to 381-384 Kbps. The only other noticeable difference is that the systemtray icon shows 7.2-7.6 Mbps, compared with 2.2 before.

I think I've tried all the other advice. The phone line is dedicated to my office, so there is only the master socket and no extension lead. The only other equipment is the phone and my dialup modem - both filtered. I have tried disconnecting them altogether and it makes no difference.

In going through the PlusNet guidance, I got to the page
http://www.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate
which says my current broadband speed is 2000 Kbps, & then says "Find out more about up to 8Mb broadband by reading our high-speed broadband guide."

My router is a Netgear DG834G.

In another thread, it says to find one's user stats at www.kitz.com . This takes me to a company that makes valves!

Does anyone know why Max hasn't given me any increase in download speed?
22 REPLIES
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

ADSL Max

Your account profile hadn't been updated to the max profile, so was still stuck at 2mb. I've changed this for you, please drop the connection (physically) for 10 minutes or so and then reconnect and let me know if it's still slow?
Community Veteran

ADSL Max

Sounds like the profiling at PN's end hasn't recieved the delta report from BT which sets the MSR (maximum stable rate) which in turn sets PN's maximum rate too. It sometimes happens when you move from a fixed rate product to MAX.

I'll jump on a comms guy in a minute and sit on them till they fix it Wink
Community Veteran

ADSL Max

*sits on Matt till it's fixed* :twisted:
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

ADSL Max

Oh you're so one minute late
Community Veteran

ADSL Max

I'm still not getting off till the EU has come back and said it's fixed Wink
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

ADSL Max

*mfff mfff mffffffffff!*
Community Veteran

Re: ADSL Max

In another thread, it says to find one's user stats at www.kitz.com . This takes me to a company that makes valves!

For your info - Kittz's site is located at www.kitz.co.uk - not kitz.com Wink
ihc77
Dabbler

ADSL Max

What service! On a Sunday too!

Latest test result:
download 5655 kbps, upload 382 kbps

My user stats show:
Connection Speed 7584 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 19 db 9 db
Noise Margin 12 db 18 db

So everything is now well.

Can I expect some fluctuations for the next few days, or will everything have settled down already?

May I suggest that the guidance should mention that one should check that the account profile has been changed after the upgrade, and how to do so.

Many thanks.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

ADSL Max

May I suggest that the guidance should mention that one should check that the account profile has been changed after the upgrade, and how to do so.

Agreed- this seems to be an increasingly common problem for Max upgrades, and with routers becoming more and more popular this isn't a problem that's going to go away. An e-mail telling users how to check their PlusNet profile and if it matches the BT profile will got a long way toward customer satisfaction with the Max upgrade process.

Although some users will choose to ignore these instructions as "too complicated", as least PlusNet will have made an effort to inform users and can't be blamed by those who later discover that speeds have been restricted by their PlusNet profile.

Alternatively, is it not possible for software to track if the PlusNet profile doesn't change after a Max regrade and flag it for CSC? As I understand it the update of IP Profile isn't sent to PlusNet systems where the customer's equipment is on at the time of the upgrade.

To deal with this-

1. Customer requests regrade to MaxDSL. CSC start regrade process and add customer to regrade database with current PlusNet profile and expected regrade date.

2. Script runs weekly to check if the PlusNet profile of regrades over seventy-two hours old have changed (compared against database entry). If the profile has been updated then the script simply removes the customer from the regrade database as the process is complete. If the profile is unchanged then the script updates the PlusNet profile to the current bRAS profile taken from the BT feed and removes the customer from the database.

3. Regrades that took place less than seventy-two hours ago are not checked due to the delay in bRAS reports from BT and carried forward to the next week.
craig_p
Grafter

ADSL Max

please can somebody explain why my max dsl connetion which i have had for about 12 months now seems to be very slow and change sync speed every few days. :twisted: not a happy bunny :!:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

ADSL Max

Agreed- this seems to be an increasingly common problem for Max upgrades, and with routers becoming more and more popular this isn't a problem that's going to go away. An e-mail telling users how to check their PlusNet profile and if it matches the BT profile will got a long way toward customer satisfaction with the Max upgrade process.

An email should be sent when the regrade order is placed, I've not read it for ages so can't remember exactly what it says but I'm sure it does mention the first 10 days and the expected speeds. In most cases we will get a delta report within the first 72 hours but it's not unusual for the first delta report to take 10 days simply because of how the back end systems at BT work.

It's rare now for a line not to generate a delta report because BT have changed the way the reporting works as it now records more sync events and more data, so even the lines that sync at 8128kbps and were left connected when the regrade happened will now generate a delta report within 10 days.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

ADSL Max

@theparkinfamily

Please can you read this tutorial, paying particular attention to ensuring all items on the line are filtered (including DECT phones, Sky boxes, fax machines etc).

Are you able to post your router stats both using your normal wiring and with just the router in the test connector of the BT master socket?

Can you also post the results of a BT Speedtest (help is available here)

Is this a recent problem or something that you've recently noticed?

There is a great blog post about speed faults MaxDSL on the Community Site, and the Intermittent Connection Faults guide will also be relevant to your problem.

As this query isn't related to the OP's question please could this post and the reply be moved into a new thread.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

ADSL Max

please can somebody explain why my max dsl connetion which i have had for about 12 months now seems to be very slow and change sync speed every few days. :twisted: not a happy bunny :!:

Hi,

It's normal for the speed to fluctuate, the way that Max works is that every time the line resyncs it will sync at the best speed it can support at that time. So for example in an evening there may be more local "noise" from things like streetlight so it syncs at a lower speed than the morning.

Or it could be that there's something causing a problem such as incorrect or faulty wiring or filters.

Looking at the line speed history for your line it looks like the line resync'd around 1Mbps around 28/07/2007 12:51:13. Does that time ring a bell at all?

If not I'd suggest taking a look at this:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

to see if anything helps.
craig_p
Grafter

ADSL Max

hi

no the timw mentioned does not ring any bells but i might try changing the wire setup fo the router to see if that helps.
Already done all the tests, my router is connected to the back of the master socket by cat 5 cable. Even with all other items removed and a good quality filter in place, it still re syncs quite often.

sometimes it can be on a stable connection for several days,

Thanks for the help anyway.

C Parkin