cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Max broadband line rate of 500Kbps??

Bookman
Grafter

Hello,
I'm in the early stage of migrating my broadband to PlusNet. I found the Exchange Checker page on the web site and tried it for my exchange. It includes this information:

"Speeds: Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 500Kbps or greater."

What would "or greater" mean here? 600Kbps wouldn't be much good to me! On the other hand, 8Mbps would be great! But I wonder, what is the point of it telling me that it can support a minimum level which is no more than the broadband speed I had a years ago? Perhaps some kind soul can clarify this for me. Smiley
2 REPLIES
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

Try the BT website where it ways enter your postcode or phone number to show speed estimate.

Some people will get 500Kb connection due to living a good distance from the phone exchange. My friends both get close to 8Mb but I only get 2Mb as I live further from the phone exchange.
Bookman
Grafter

Mmmm....strange!

The BT web site speed estimate gives:
"Our initial test on your phone line indicates that you should be able to have BT Total Broadband with a likely maximum speed of up to 500k (Megabits per second)."

The phrase "with a likely maximum speed of up to 500k" here is very different in meaning to PlusNet's exchange checker which says it should be able to support: "a line rate of 500Kbps or greater".

So one says "up to 500k" and the other says "from 500k". What are we to assume from this? (Especially considering that I already have 1-2 Mbps from my current ISP) :?