cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Line Calc / Attenuation / Noise etc.. Confused?

N/A

Here are my current stats from my router.

DSL Status
Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 288
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 1152
US Margin 24
DS Margin 22
Modulation MMODE
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 51
US Line Attenuation 61
Path Mode Fast Path

I am using the MaxDSL Calc, and I am wondering which two numbers I am suppose to be using.

I used 1152 as speed, 51 as attenuation and then 22 for the noise. Is this the correct way to do it?

I have noticed that my DS Margin (Noise I think) is fluctuating alot. I am getting as low as 17 and as high as 23. The speed check difference between these two is like 2.5MB and 5MB which is a hell of a lot and I am wondering if either my router is set up wrong of if where it is placed is causing issues.

When I first connect to PN the noise is 23 but then as time goes on it gets lower and lower, its lost about 04 in 2 hours as it is now on 19. I am using the Business BB if that matters, so the contention ratio is 20:1.

I am just trying to figure out if its location close to PC's or other electrical equipment like monitors can cause the noise to fluctuate? Also if it is connected directly into a wall socket rather than on a extension cord would that lower noise levels etc?
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

yes your correct!

SNR - 22
Attenuation - 51
N/A

Just made up a new wire and it connected at 25, but now its gone down to 23 after about 3 minutes. Is it right for the Noise to go down after a period of time?
Community Veteran

Yeah sometimes it takes a while for the line to settle, remember that other electrical interferance may affect your line, (Lighting, Street lighting, Microwaves, hoovers, tvs etc etc)
Alecto
Grafter

sometimes it takes a while for the line to settle

A bit like concrete setting, paint drying or the oil dripping to the bottom of the sump? Why should that be then, please? Isn't an electrical connection slightly different - or is it all the electrons dropping to the lowest point on the circuit? Wink
N/A

Yeah it was odd, I noticed when the PC next to me was being used the Noise one dropped, but when the PC was idle so was the Noise. (The router was then situated pretty much next to the monitor, which is a 22" one lol)

I have moved it now and will reply back in a few hours. (Lowered it down so its below the PC and Monitor). Hopefully when it does drop it wont go as far down as like 17-18 as it was doing.

Thanks for the replies.

edit---

Is there any sort of material I could use that can like bounce incoming signals from the router to stop outside forces effecting it?
N/A

6 Minutes into connection..

DSL Status
Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 288
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 1152
US Margin 25
DS Margin 24
Modulation GDMT
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 52
US Line Attenuation 61
Path Mode Fast Path

It dropped from 25 to 24 and my attenuation went up 1 point. I've switched from MMODE to GDMT, not sure if that changes anything. Hopefully it will settle down now and stick at 24.

Download Speed: 957 kbps (119.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 236 kbps (29.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Somehow my upload speed has gone up lol, ah well.
N/A

Right this is odd, this morning I woke up and its now saying the noise to signal ratio is 16 lol

If I use the Router to reconnect the Noise signal will stay at 16. But if I reboot the whole Router it goes back up to 24.

I am going to try another Router (have a spare one somewhere) to see if thats causing these oddities. Can anyone else think of anything that could cause it?

The router seems to stick at 24 for about 2 hours and then during that time it just drops to 17-16.
N/A

After trying another router everything seems fine, after 6 hours online with PN my SNR was jumping from 21-23DB every few seconds but it did not drop once below 20DB.

I am guessing this DLink Router either is informing me wrong or has problems and needs to be sent back. I certainly wont be buying anything Dlink again lol, although I will try emailing their support to see what they have to say.
keithcalder
Grafter

My router stats going loopy at the moment, check this:

ADSL Link .................... Downstream ............Upstream
Connection Speed........4224 kbps.................448 kbps
Line Attenuation.............50 db..........................13 db
Noise Margin...............2147483646 db..........10 db

The noise margin down looks good, lol Cheesy It may come back to normal shortly, who knows with these things, half the time they have a mind of their own and cant be trusted anyway,

Keith
N/A

I am going to try and get a hold of another router and check things out.