cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Line Activated - Can't connect

N/A

Hi,

My plus.net ADSL is due to be activated on 6th August.

However, it appears that my line has become active today (green light stopped flashing, etc). I can successfully access http://www.bt.net/digitaldemo using the "bt_test@startup_domain" login.

According to this usenet post by Ian Wild of Plus.net support, if I try to connect using my Plus.net username/password, the system should automatically activate my account in around an hour.

I've tried this, but it dosen't appear to have worked. I've just spoken to someone at Plus.net and they've said that my account cannot be activated until they get confirmation from BT.

Could someone please advise?

Thank you.
8 REPLIES
N/A

I am unaware of any "1 hour automatic activatation" in place, so +Net would have to advise on this. However, I suspect this to be false, as it is a manaual process.

There are many posts about peoples lines becoming active before there Go Live date. However, this does not mean they will receive DSL.

Provided BT Wholes sale pass the first stages of the activation, a engineer is dispatched to the exchange to work on your line.

They will connect the line, and perform further tests. This may well be the point at where you line is at this time.

This is not a sign that you line will remain ADSL activated, infact, it may well have been left for the weekend (these depeartments do not work weekends).

Many people have had there line actiavted this way in the past, only to be told later, that there line will not hold a stable connection, and they can't provide DSL ont he line.

You can phone +Net and ask that they activate your line, telling them you know the implications, and from that moment, you will be billed, even if your line does n ot remain DSL active.

When you agree to this, you are in for dire changes one a 12 month contract. You would have to pay the full 12 months if your line failed.

Another bad point, I am sure only the provisioning department in +Net can activate the line, which in turn, do not work weekends.

My sugestion would be to wait until tomorrow afternoon before making any discision.
Community Veteran

The fact that your light has now steadied and you have sync does not mean that your ADSL is all the way trough to plusnet.
It only means that the work in the Telephone Exchange has been completed.
BT still have to arrange the routing to your ISP.
I would wait untill monday by wich time they may have completed the work and notified Plusnet.
N/A

Thanks both for the advice.

With regard to the 'one hour auto activation', did you follow the link I provided to google groups? As this was clearly stated by a member of customer support, I assume that it is perfectly true.
N/A

I guess it may werll be true then.

However, in the long run, the full steps rerquired to make you line active at the exchange (or even remain DSL active) may not have taken place, thus why it is still not functioning.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

If our RADIUS server sees multiple connection attempts from your username then it should activate your account within about an hour.

Have you appended @plusdsl.net to the end of your username? If not then the connection attempts won't reach us.

You can also try the username bt_test_user@plusdsl.net (password is test) to see if you authenticate with us.

If this works let me know and I should be able to activate your account if the automated system doesn't pick it up.
N/A

I just turned my router off and back on again, and rebooted... and now my account is working Cheesy

Well done plus.net - it looks like I'm the first person on my exchange to have ADSL (exchange went live on 30th July).

William.
N/A

Very doubtful. BT will have been at the exchange and starting to activate orders on the day.
N/A

Yes, it looks like other people's lines have also been activated this morning.

I don't think anybody was activated prior to today though.