cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Home Surf Package Problems

N/A

I have had loads of problems with the given Modem-Binatone ADSL 500 USB Modem.I have a 1 Gig Athlon CPU with 256RAM,32MB Geforce card and O.S. Win. 98,with Norton Anti-virus and McAfee firewall.
First the modem crashed,especially when downloading.Told to get a powered USB hub,which I did,Belkin USB 4-hub.Problem is,BOTH still crash(lights out).Is this a power issue?
Please help
Thank You
11 REPLIES
N/A

You say you are using an 1ghz Athlon, therefore i would check if you have a via chipset based motherboard as their are known USB issues with this board, I would pop along to www.viaarena.com for more information and new drivers/patches regarding this issue, this only applies if you have a via chipset motherboard.

A lot of people have solved their via usb probs by disabling the onboard USB and buying a USB PCI card and plug that into your motherboard instead.

Hope this helps

Ali
N/A

Also if as you say you are running 98 get the new (ish) DUN 1.4. It stops some of the problems with a USB modem.

cass aka Witty
N/A

Thanks for that both of you,but unfortunately,doesn't seem to be any patches for my chipset-Apollo KT-133:VT8363,VT82C686B(tried downloading one but got error).Is the DUN 1.4 part of windows updater?(also done).Guess I will look into getting Plusnet to exchange my Binatone Modem for a PCI one.
Thanks again.
nickthesurfer
Grafter

Binatone 500 - Probs

I have simply been unable to get the 500 modem to work since its arrival. The techie guys have had me running in circles (never seeming to read the history of the problem). The simple problem is that I can connect via ADSL but have only had speeds of about 50bps (viewed through the Opera broswer - very useful tool) & I couldn't actually load any pages.

Popped out today & bought a Binatone 2000 & things are happily buzzing along (literally as this modem is making quite a noiseHuh?). It would seem that PlusNet have sent to a duff modem! Annoyingly, I have to pay to send it back to them Evil

Nick
N/A

Nick,I know it is so annoying!!I'm at my wits end tried so many things.Going to try a PCI Modem as i have a Via chipset.
P.S. I'm new to this,never knew broadband was so frustrating!Glad you have solved your problem.
N/A

Cloud,

Dun 1.4 is not with the 98 updates. Do a search on Microsoft.co.uk and type in dial-up networking 1.4 .....it will tell you to download either 98 or 98se.

Hope that helps Smiley

cass aka witty
N/A

I'm also using Win 98SE. Installed DUN 1.4 and still getting the same problems. Doesn't seem to like anything that goes into the start-up routine being installed, such as virus checker or firewall software. Very very annoying.
N/A

Do you have all the latest drivers for your Computer? Have you tried disabling virus checker and firewall until you are up and running?

Then re-enable once you are logged with BB?

witty
N/A

Witty,yes and tried loads of other things.Good news is Plusnet is giving me a refund and i've got an ADSL PCI Modem i'm going to try ,wish me luck!!
N/A

It worked!!
I'm so happy,connection seems fine and downloaded windows updater and no crashes!JOY!!
Spent a week trying to sort out Binatone problems.Hopefully everything will be smooth from now on.
Good luck to others with Binatone problems.
N/A

Witty, yes I've tried all sorts of combos, installing the three in different orders etc. The only way to get the modem to work is to not have anything like antivirus, firewall or even google toolbar initiate at start up.

Good news for you, cloud!