Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Forum FAQ - Your Suggestions?

Ianwild
Grafter

Hi Folks,

I was thinking it might be good if we created a list of the common questions and problems that get asked within this forum, and then made them sticky so that they were alwasy available for reference. I already have some ideas, but wanted to get everyone's feedback.

I was thinking of 4 posts:

ADSL Connection Settings and Pre-Activation Information
Choosing an ADSL modem
Advice for USB Modem Users
Having Problems? Things to check first.

What does everyone think in principle? Would there be anyone willing to give us a hand and help put these together (We can insert screenshots and the like where appropriate)?

Cheers,
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Well I'll of course help wherever possible. Smiley

Thomas
N/A

Great Idea Ian!

Idiot's Guide to Setting Up ADSL - Me being the idiot, that's hopefully going to be blessed with the gift of 1Mb ADSL on 15th August, pretty please! i.e. I have a working Netgear ISDM router which I intend to replace with a Netgear DG814, assuming I pass the test, what do I need to change.... Ok Ok... I'll read the damn manual!
N/A

Setting up ADSL on Linux?

Maybe a few guides [for the different distros?]
N/A

Setting up ADSL on Linux?

Maybe a few guides [for the different distros?]

Use an external router.... problem sorted! I run two W2K PC's and a Linux Suse 8.2 PC via a Netgear RT328 ISDN router, works a charm. Have had W98 PC's on it too.
N/A

Use an external router.... problem sorted! I run two W2K PC's and a Linux Suse 8.2 PC via a Netgear RT328 ISDN router, works a charm. Have had W98 PC's on it too.

I mean for using modems [especially usb modems]. I've never had a problem [I also use a router] but I've seen a lot of people with usb modem troubles.

Actually, I tell a lie, I have had troubles with the router - but that's just trying to set up multiple IPs. There's a whole different thread for that though Wink
Community Veteran

Also something about Filters as these seem to cause confusion among new users. E.G. how many needed and where to install them.
Community Veteran

Maybe it's also worth mentioning the different types of filters you can get (2 AFAIK).

Thomas