cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Filter problem

N/A

ADSL Filter problem

Hi,

Recently got my plus net account, and set it up etc, but I think I have a problem with the ADSL filters. I was supplied 2 * LinkCom LAF0026 filters which are unmarked other than the name (i.e. don't distinguish between ADSL and telephone inputs), but more to the point have a standard telephone plug input and one of the smaller ethernet (?) plugs as input. The cable that was supplied with the modem has an ethernet plug (which goes into the modem :shock: ) and a standard telephone plug. So do I have the wrong cable or the wrong filters?

Any ideas would be gratefully accepted!
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

ADSL Filter problem

What ADSL equipment did you get supplied with: make/model etc.

Is this an ADSL modem you are talking about? In which case it should be supplied with a cable with an RJ11 (the small ethernet connector you are talking about) at both ends, one end plugs into the modem and the other to the filter (you can guess which socket).

The other socket in the filter is where you plug a normal phone into.
N/A

ADSL Filter problem

I was supplied with a Dynamode ADSL PCI modem (M-ADSL-PCI-C1). It gives all the specs on the box, and just says 'ADSL : Telephone cord'. So I guess its a case of getting a new lead, presumably the plugs you use to connect it don't make any difference?

Cheers!
Community Veteran

ADSL Filter problem

I would wait a while to see if someone else with that PCI modem can comment.

If you get no reply raise a contact us ticket and explain what you have and ask if you have the correct cable.

All equipment I have seen does not have a normal phone plug cable supplied because you cannot plug it into the filter and use a phone at the same time.

Just check to make sure the phone connector on the cable is not an adaptor that can be removed?

Note: you can plug the modem directly into a BT socket without the filter if you don't also need a normal phone to connect to the socket. Normally you would need an RJ11 -> BT plug converter but you can use you supplied cable. The filter just allows a normal phone to share the socket and isolates the signals used by ADSL, it is not requited for the ADSL connection itself.
N/A

ADSL Filter problem

I've seen filters for adsl only, but if they were supplied to you
as part of your package then they're probably as described
above.
You can plug the modem into a spare extension if you have one
and connect your telephone to the filter.
It's ok to connect your modem direct, but there are benefits in connecting
to the adsl filter depending on which modem. As stated I would enquire via support just to make sure.
Alec.
glyndev
Grafter

ADSL Filter problem

I have my ADSL connected Via a normal phone cable into an extension and phone, Sky etc through a filter in the main socket.

Very clean signal on both.
N/A

ADSL Filter problem

The cable supplied asumes you will be connecting the modem directly to the phone socket, as others have already mentioned.
To use the DSL filter and a phone, you will either need another cable with RJ11 plugs at each end (maplin part A25BA) or you can get an adapter to convert the BT plug to a RJ11 plug that can then be plugged into the filter.
Maplin do one as part number RZ79L at www.maplin.co.uk.