cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Drops Out and Only comes back when Using Phone

N/A

Hi folks,

Can anyone give me any clues as to the cause of my problem?

My ADSL connection keeps dropping out for long periods and only occasionally coming back for a short while. However, if I dial out on my phone, or receive a call, the connection manages to be re-established within no more than 30 seconds.

I have all the connections and filters in place, as it had been running for over a year without any problem. I have tried two different filters just in case, but they don't alter the symptoms.

Any guidance greatly appreciated...
12 REPLIES
N/A

have you changed your router settings at all?

made sure the phone lead hasnt got damaged (cought in a door etc)

if you have.. its time to call bt to get ur line checked
N/A

The settings haven't changed. I've even tried a different modem, and also tried a different computer connected straight into the incoming wall socket. Both computers show the same symptoms.

To get my connection back-up I have to keep ringing my mobile! Sometimes every other minute, or if I'm lucky I get 15 minutes without getting cut-off.

Been cut-off three times just typing this reply!
N/A

Raise a ticket requesting a line check by BT. Problems like this recently have been down to wiring faults at exchange or local street corner box.
N/A

Blimey, mine does exactly the same thing!

I've done pretty much the same as you only my problem has happened off and on since I had the ADSL installed. It seems to go through patches when it's really bad - but like you lifting the phone handset and dialling a few numbers brings the ADSL connection back again.

I've logged two call tickets with Plus Net - they say there's nothing wrong, BT have sent and engineer out and said there's nothing wrong. It's been put down to my kit each time.

Only recently I've got hold of another router to try it with and found the connection to be just as dodgy. I'd be very interested if you get an answer from Plus Net or any one else who's sorted their connection.

It's not going to take much more before I jack it all in and get Telewest cable instead!
N/A

Bad news for you, but good news for me, is that today my connection hasn't been lost at all (yet!).

So as things stand I don't need to do anything, but if and when it does it again I'll be straight on the phone to see what I can get sorted.

I hope yours manages to magically fix itself too...
N/A

Do you get noise on your phone line?

It might still be worth getting BT to check it out, since I had the same problem and it turned out to be a fault at the green box around the corner from me.
N/A

Yeah, there is some noise on the phone line.

Thanks for the info, I'll get back on the phone until they sort it seeing as it's started doing it yet again!
N/A

Hi there

I had the same problem for about 2 months. I would lose sync and then soon as I get a dial tone, my sync returns (you don't have to ring anyone, just get a dial tone for 20 seconds or so). I also had noise on my line.

I performed all the usual checks and changed around equipment but no luck. Plusnet and BT did not find any problems.

But one day I got so fed up, that when it happened again, I disconnected all my equipment and then plugged in my router directly into the master socket using a standard modem cable (no filters, no phone).

I then reported the problem to plusnet, who could not get sync with my router. They carried out all the tests and referred the issue to BT.

During this time, I had no ADSL for 3 days, but it was worth it in the end, and I no longer have this problem.

The sync returned and the line has no more noise. I don't know what BT did but it seems to have worked.
N/A

I have recentley become an ADSL user, and after using the connection for 3 days I suddenly had nothing, rebooted router but still nothing. I called Plusnet and as I was on the phone, the ADSL light started to flash and the connection came back.

Same thing as all you guys. I have not had it happen since, but would like to know why it happens if anyone finds out.
N/A

Interesting to hear about other peoples experiences - on the subject of line noise my phone line can be noisey but only when my modem/router is turned on otherwise it's as clear as anything. That's using a filter of course, and I've tried a different filter with the same results.

I've raised a final call ticket with PlusNet but if I don't get it sorted soon I think I'll fix it by going to cable! I've noticed that Telewest are doing free install of cable till the end of June, you can get the 750k broadband for £27.99 a month which is cheaper than the BT line rental and PlusNet (having a mobile I've only got the land line for ADSL).
N/A

If you've tried different filters and your still getting noise on the line, when your router or modem is on. Chances are you have a fault somewhere on your line.

Perform a fault test from the BT website, and they should send someone around to fix the fault. However make sure you check your side of everything 100% or else if it's found to be your fault, BT can charge you £50.
N/A

wow me too

I'm having the same problem aswell, it started a week ago now. I can can go for ages with no drops whatsoever and then can have a morning with drops every 3 min or so.

waiting for plus net to do their tests and then post the results.