cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL, DSL, Broadband ????

N/A

I am currently on standard dial up, use it for approx 1/2 - 1 hour per day, although a little slow it does its job, trouble is every time I seem to go on someone trys to ring us.
I am therefore looking to change my type of connection and although I would like to just get the £24.99 easy starter pack and be done with it I don't think I can justify the expense for my needs at the moment maybe in the future when the kids get older. I am therefore considering getting the dsl 3x. Please can someone answer a few questions.
1/ Apart from speed what are the disadvantages of this compared with broadband?

2/ If I want to change from 3x to 4 or 5x in the future will there be a charge apart from the increase in monthly fee?

3/ If I choose to upgrade to Broadband in the future will
a) The modem and filters I get with 3x DSL work or will I need a different type?
b) What costs will I incur?

4/ I already have a broadband modem, if I want to run my laptop down stairs and pc upstairs can I plug two modems in at the same time or will I require a router?
If the answer to two modems is no would it be o.k. to have two setup as long as the two machines are not turned on at the same time?

Sorry :? , thats a lot of questions :shock: .
Thanks in advance
Andy (Clueless when it comes to computers) Shockedops:
3 REPLIES
N/A

Apart from speed what are the disadvantages of this compared with broadband?

I think the only other big difference is that you only get 25Mb webspace.
If I want to change from 3x to 4 or 5x in the future will there be a charge apart from the increase in monthly fee?

I don't imagine Plusnet will NOT want to take more money off you for an upgrade Cheesy
If I choose to upgrade to Broadband in the future will
a) The modem and filters I get with 3x DSL work or will I need a different type?

The modem and filters will all work. I'm guessing that there will be no activation fee because that is basically a BT charge. Could be wrong though.
I already have a broadband modem, if I want to run my laptop down stairs and pc upstairs can I plug two modems in at the same time or will I require a router?

I reckon the easiest thing is to get a wireless router in that case.
If the answer to two modems is no would it be o.k. to have two setup as long as the two machines are not turned on at the same time?

I guess that would work
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: ADSL, DSL, Broadband ????

1/ Apart from speed what are the disadvantages of this compared with broadband?

none unless your restricted to no newsfeeds and p2p, I've not had a look at the details of the 150k package

2/ If I want to change from 3x to 4 or 5x in the future will there be a charge apart from the increase in monthly fee?

what ever the regrade fee is at that time yes, min it could be is £35 inc vat unless Bt or PN do a deal and waive it at a future date.

3/ If I choose to upgrade to Broadband in the future will

yes they will work

4/ I already have a broadband modem, if I want to run my laptop down stairs and pc upstairs can I plug two modems in at the same time or will I require a router?

Do you mean the modem you get with the Starter package? if so then you would need to get a switch and another PCI lan card and run one pc as a connection host, it would be easier in the long run just to buy a multi port router your self than use the USB modem if you are planning on sharing.

USB modems have issues with various motherboards
If you are planning on using ICS to share the connection its a pain if not impossible to use for gaming. So a router in the end would make it easier as kids being kids[and the big kids] will want online games.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Got the cash?

Get a Wireless router and card for the laptop, it's great and you won't regret it Smiley

3Com 3CRPAG175 802.11a/b/g PC Card, expensive but fantastic, tucks away aerial very nicely so you can keep it in the laptop!

Also have Draytek Vigor 2600We wireless router for VPN stuff, Netgear and 3Com do good basic NAT routers too.

Ed.