cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Connectivity Update

N/A

ADSL Connectivity Update

Dear Customer,

In reference to the previous posting regarding the brief routing outages being experienced on our ADSL network we are now in a position to provide further details about the problem and how we intend to resolve it. The symptoms of this problem have been no data transfer for periods of upto 2 minutes, occurring two or three times a day. This afternoon, we completed a process of investigation in conjunction with our supplier and we have now identified the reason for the routing problems currently occurring on our DSL platform.

This issue revolves around a bug within the software which drives the Redback unit, which was recently installed on our network. Redback Networks, who provide the equipment have confirmed that they are aware of this problem and are already working on a fix in the form of a software upgrade. This upgrade will not be available until mid December and as such they have proposed an alternative solution which will provide a short term resolution.

The bug in question affects configurations which use multiple Ethernet links to connect the Redback unit to the core network. In our network three such links are used and the bug is causing these links to drop from time to time. Redback Networks will provide a workaround to this in the form of a high speed 'Gigabit' connection to replace the current Ethernet links. They have informed us that they will be in a position to make this change before the end of the week, and we have planned a maintenance window for 5AM on Friday morning. In the event that any of these details change we will post further updates as appropriate.

Due to the nature of the issue and the difficulty we have had in identifying and replicating the drop in routing, coupled with other recent routing problems on our network, it has taken longer than usual for us to recognise and diagnose this problem. We would like to offer our apologies to any ADSL customer who has been affected by this and we would especially like to express thanks to our online gaming community for bringing these problems to our attention over recent days.

With Regards,

Customer Support

--
| David Watson. Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ADSL Connectivity Update

PlusNet have been very good in terms of customer service to me. However, in the last 2 months, I have experienced very very bad downloading speeds (whilst my uploading speed have held up quite well), I have tweaked just about everything I can, and it doesnt seem to have helped. Plus there has been so many connectivity problems. My friends on Virgin.net and Pipex have ont he other hand, enjoyed downloading speeds that I can only dream of. Maybe its my area, maybe its me, but I have decided to go with Pipex now, and drop plus.net...farewell then plus, it was good while is lasted... which wasn't long.
N/A

> In reference to the previous posting regarding
> the brief routing outages being experienced on
> our ADSL network we are now in a position to
> provide further details about the problem and how
> we intend to resolve it.

I believe you are refering to this and my previous posts:

C:\>ping www.plus.com

Pinging portal.plus.net [212.159.8.137] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 212.159.8.137:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\>time
The current time is: 21:16:05.87

Back to normal at 21:18.
N/A

> This issue revolves around a bug within the software which drives the Redback unit, which was recently installed on our network. Redback Networks, who provide the equipment have confirmed that they are aware of this problem and are already working on a fix in the form of a software upgrade. This upgrade will not be available until mid December and as such they have proposed an alternative solution which will provide a short term resolution.

This is hard to believe. Is every redback customer with this so called 'carrier class' equipment suffering from the same failure?

This does not explain the problems which people are reporting.

N/A

LOL I've worked in software, I believe it alright. Glad to hear there's a resolution in sight.
N/A

> LOL I've worked in software, I believe it alright. Glad to hear there's a resolution in sight.

Hehe so do i, I am in software and its extremely believable.

The chances are other ISP's using this Redback equipment are using it in a different config as Plusnet said they are using the multiple ethernet ports switching to a different config using the Gigabit link may well avoid the bug.
And hey im not one for defending Plusnet just look at my other posts regarding their abysmal performance bu chances are they were not made aware of this problem by Redback no manufacturer goes out of their way to advertise bugs.

Ali