cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Connection

N/A

ADSL Connection

Hello. i'm just waiting on the ADSL to work again, so i thought i'd come here and see what's up with everyone else.

I haven't been on much today "Sunday" just switched on about 11pm at night there and the modem lights for ADSL are both rock solid green, but the dialup box which pops up (when i make a connection) doesn't make the connection to the network, it's same problem as we had a few days back.

I don't know if anyone else is having problems logging in right now?

But i have read also here about the drop outs etc..
i have had poor connection for a few days too on ADSL, for me it is normally beter at night time after 11pm, things usually move a bit faster by then.

Although i'm supposed to get 288 upstream and 512 downstream, i never do. downloads are fast, but never 500 K fast !. i get about between 28K to 50 K max on most downloads. upstream is ok i suppose, when i have been FTPing i notice the speed is about right on there, around 230 K.

I use Real One Player and Win Media Players "musicbrigage.com" alot, which stream music videos in Windows Media Video, and i can never get a stream any higher/faster than 90 K. the next setting is 400 K on that site and on that i get buffering all the time and freeze up. no music!. And this computer is brand new, Windows XP (NT 5.1) very fast, 2.4 GHz Intel P4, but makes no difference on the connection. my old Windows 98 SE Cyrix 300 mII machine (really slow) was just as good!.

Ahh well i'm on local call dialup at moment, and i'm going to see if the ADSL is working again yet.

Bye.

Jason Sad
=====

--
Jason
=====
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ADSL Connection

Oops!! i made a typo. the site i have problems with is http://www.musicbrigade.com

Can anyone get this site to run any faster then 90 K ?? with the music videos on a P4.

I can't. my ADSL drops out.

Jason. (still on dialup Sad )
======
--
Jason
=====
phobox
Grafter

Hi there

I was experiencing login problems a little earlier, but its back now - I'm using my ADSL connection to post this. As for your download/upload speeds, you shouldnt expect to ever get 512k/sec downloads because its not technically possible on this connection. 512kb is the connect speed, not the transfer speed. The same goes for uploads. For example on an old 56k modem, you never actually get 56k/sec download speeds do you.. because the data transfer speed is always much less than the connect speed.

60-70kb/sec downloads is good for an ADSL connection - sometimes you may even see 90-100kb/sec downloads (although not very often).

Plusnet ADSL is however experiencing packet loss and connectivity problems at the moment, which I sure am hoping will be sorted out soon! Just a shame these things have to happen to such a good ISP such as Plusnet!

Thanks,
Rob
espresso_mick
Grafter

I can. I'm listening and watching now on 450k.
I have a P4 and Windows XP Professional.
Excellent. Thanks for the link. :-)
N/A

I sympathise with you on the connection problems - my dial-up has been taking two or three goes recently, particularly on boot up (after waiting for the green light on the taskbar, of course!). Haven't tried the sites you mentioned but downloading Netscape tonight the best download speed it could manage was around 20k. Much of the time it was well below. Went to download Mozilla a little later and speeds were back up to 50k - after 11.00pm, of course!
N/A

Thanks everyone for the replies!.

My ADSL is running again since 00.50am.

Sometimes it connects in a second, other times it is a bit harder to get on the network.

Thanks for the info on the data transfers, i always thought i'd get 512 K (haha) ok i was silly.

But my modem is a D-Link DSL-200 capable of 8mb a sec max downloading.

If 50K is the average download speed with ADSL, then thats ok, no complaints.. it's fast enough!.

And yes that 'musicbrigade.com' is an excellent web site, and good for trying out your PlusNet DSL bandwidth aswell as enjoying the broadband music videos too!.

Thanks all ... i feel better now Smiley

--
Jason
=====
phobox
Grafter

I'm finding things are getting back to normal here now, which is good. Download speeds are picking up again and I'm not getting the packet loss I was earlier.

Your DSL-200 is capable of taking advantage of an 8mb connection, however currently the UK doesnt have such a service available to the general population. The fastest connection (as far as I am aware) available at the moment via standard BT lines is 1mb, which is more than adequate for most users/small businesses.

> Thanks everyone for the replies!.
>
> My ADSL is running again since 00.50am.
>
> Sometimes it connects in a second, other times it is a bit harder to get on the network.
>
> Thanks for the info on the data transfers, i always thought i'd get 512 K (haha) ok i was silly.
>
> But my modem is a D-Link DSL-200 capable of 8mb a sec max downloading.
>
> If 50K is the average download speed with ADSL, then thats ok, no complaints.. it's fast enough!.
>
> And yes that 'musicbrigade.com' is an excellent web site, and good for trying out your PlusNet DSL bandwidth aswell as enjoying the broadband music videos too!.
>
> Thanks all ... i feel better now Smiley
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Jason
> =====

N/A

> Hello. i'm just waiting on the ADSL to work again, so i thought i'd come here and see what's up with everyone else.
>
> I haven't been on much today "Sunday" just switched on about 11pm at night there and the modem lights for ADSL are both rock solid green, but the dialup box which pops up (when i make a connection) doesn't make the connection to the network, it's same problem as we had a few days back.
>
> I don't know if anyone else is having problems logging in right now?
>
> But i have read also here about the drop outs etc..
> i have had poor connection for a few days too on ADSL, for me it is normally beter at night time after 11pm, things usually move a bit faster by then.
>
> Although i'm supposed to get 288 upstream and 512 downstream, i never do. downloads are fast, but never 500 K fast !. i get about between 28K to 50 K max on most downloads. upstream is ok i suppose, when i have been FTPing i notice the speed is about right on there, around 230 K.

You'll never get a 512K/s download, because the connection is rated in kilo*bits* per second (512/256), and internet explorer/any other download tool reports in kilo*bytes* per second... (thus a factor of 8 "slower")

To be truly correct you should say you have a modem that has a 512/256 Kbps connection, which would allow you to download at approximately 60K/s... (see the difference in units?)

Your modem is also reporting a 576/288 connection, but this translates to 512/256 due to protocol losses (i.e. to actually carry the TCP/UDP information on the internet, there's also some bandwidth taken up by the protocol sticking it's own stuff in there to ensure the data gets to where it needs to go)...

Brian.