cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Connection works when phone is on

N/A

Hi

I've seen a few posts that are similar to this but not quite the same. For the first month my ADSL connection worked fine. Then, yesterday, it started disconnecting and re-connecting constantly, half a dozen times in an hour or so, and then disconnected permanently.

I worked out this morning that it only seems to connect now when I'm on the phone. I was speaking to a friend for 50 minutes and the connection stayed on. But as soon as I hung up the phone, the ADSL connection was lost. This time, I dialled my home number, heard the usual BT message and then the line was cut, but instead of hanging up the phone, I left it on for about 20mins, and then switshed it off. Amazingly, after a further 20mins I still have a connection, but I don't know how long it will last (and I can't work out how to dial up on the 0845 number!)

My phone is cordless. It fits into my fax line splitter. That fits into the ADSL filter and into the one of the connections in the double wall socket. The other socket has the RJ11 from the PC going into the filter. I've tried using my old 56k modem line straight in the wall box. I've tried unplugging the phone, moving the charger plug to a wall socket away from the PC, and swapping round the filters. PlusNet's telehone support said I should buy new filters, but these have worked so far.

Can anyone help before I tear what's left of my hair out, please.
19 REPLIES
N/A

Can you plug the modem directly into the phone socket with no filter? The modem doesnt need a filter and some work a lot better without the splitter.

I have read the post a couple of times and still cant work out how many phones you have connected. It could be you are exceeding ther Ren.
N/A

Having to have the phone active on a call to maintain a DSL connection can only be a "red herring" and pure coincidence.
This borne out by your comment
This time, I dialled my home number, heard the usual BT message and then the line was cut, but instead of hanging up the phone, I left it on for about 20mins, and then switshed it off. Amazingly, after a further 20mins I still have a connection
Once the line is cut at the exchange, the call is not longer active, so in reality your DSL connection was live from then, 40 minutes and counting.
The problem is something else.

What is the connection method (USB, Ethernet router). VIA chipset on motherboard ??. Do you run a virus scanner that is up to date and a firewall ?Huh
N/A

I have tried plugging the modem directly into the phone socket using my old 56K modem lead. It didn't make any difference, unfortunately.

I have a double wall telephone socket. Into one side is plugged a filter and into that is plugged the fax line (which is built into a splitter of it's own). The phone line is plugged into this fax splitter. On the other side of the wall socket is another filter with the RJ11 direct from the modem.

With respect, if having the phone active is a coincidence, it's an astonishingly easy-to-repeat coincidence. It was the only way I was able to get an ADSL connection again today (Saturday), and my betting is that I'll lose the connection as soon as I hang up the phone. The 40-min extension to my connection time I had on Thursday was one of only two times that has hapened since I lost my regular connection (the other period lasted about 10 mins).

I connect via the standard PCI ADSL internal modem which PlusNet supplies. An RJ11 cable connects the modem to the phone port (although I have also used an old 56K modem line plugged direct into the wall socket). I am fully up to dat with my virus and firewall software, and have checked for viruses.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Have you tried the connection without the fax (and phone and any other telephony devices removed)? Just that from the way you describe it it sounds like the fax is connected to a phone line splitter rather than an ADSL filter/splitter. They are different and if this is so then that could be the cause of your problem.
Community Veteran

I have a double wall telephone socket. Into one side is plugged a filter and into that is plugged the fax line (which is built into a splitter of it's own). The phone line is plugged into this fax splitter. On the other side of the wall socket is another filter with the RJ11 direct from the modem.

Dave, if you read it again, the fax is filtered (see highlighted text)...

The fax line has a splitter of it's own on the end of it's phone cable - this allows you to plug a fax in and still be able to plug your phone in as well into the back of it - into which the phone is connected. The fax itself is connected to a filter plugged into one of the 2 wall sockets.
N/A

The filter needs to come before the fax line splitter, ie filter into the wall socket, then fax splitter plugged into telephone side of filter, ADSL plugged into smaller socket of filter.

You have a double socket on the wall, do these supply 2 different lines or the same line twice?

I would try the set up without the fax, just the ADSL and telephone to see if that made any difference.

As was stated earlier by mwright, you don't need to filter the ADSL connection to the PC you could use your old 56K modem lead. Out of interest, I took a filter apart the other day, there's a low frequency pass filter for the telephone side, the ADSL side is straight through.

Jeff
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Dave, if you read again, the fax is filtered... The fax line has a splitter of it's own on the end of it's phone cable - this allows you to plug a fax in and still be able to plug your phone in as well into the back of it - into which the phone is connected. The fax itself is connected to a filter plugged into one of the 2 wall sockets.

My fax machine has a splitter on it so you can connect a phone as well, but it isn't an ADSL splitter just a standard phone splitter, I just wanted to make sure it was the right sort of filter.
N/A

The mystery is why the modem will not sync without a phone call active.
Can you determine the attenuation and SNR figures from the modem (they are there somewhere) with a phone call active and then inactive.
N/A

cqg4uzg I must admit it is a mystery, I have a feeling the double wall socket has something to do with it, maybe a split pair between the 2 points? I dunno what else to think of - I'm looking forward to seeing the solution.

Jeff
N/A

Hi

petervaughn is right about how the fax line and phone line set-up works. I have tried to get internet access with no telephony stuff plugged in, but I just sit there watching the message "ADSL Connecting" and nothing else happens...

The double socket on the wall supplies one line twice, as cank1 said. It was put in to try and simplify all the lines plugged into it.

To confirm, I have the phone line plugged into the fax line splitter and then into the filter and then into the wall. I have tried the ADSL line with both the RJ11 plugged into a filter, and then the old 56k line with no filter (but there is also an issue with noise on my phone line in a seperate ongoing topic in the ADSL and Boadband forum, and the RJ11 into a filter seems to lessen this noise a little). Neither RJ11 or 56k line makes a difference to this recent problem of failure to connect.

I'm new to ADSL on a home PC, and have no idea where to find attentuation and SNR figures. Can you point me in the right direction, please? The software I have came on PlusNet's installation disc for this PCI internal modem, so I'm hoping it's pretty standard.

I've tried putting all three connections through one filter and one side of the double socket, but that makes no difference, and yes, last time I closed the phone line down my ADSL connection was cut off again, around ten seconds later. Any ideas on what to check or do would be very welcome, before I tear out my hair in frustration!
N/A

Is the double socket in question your main incoming BT socket? It doesn't sound like it. Can you connect your modem to the main BT socket, with no other phones etc. connected?
Allan
N/A

Sorry, I don't know where the attenuation and noise figures are for your modem. There must be a setup programme somewhere (maybe in control panel).
Hopefully, someone with a PCI modem as supplied by Plusnet will pop in and help.

there is also an issue with noise on my phone line in a seperate ongoing topic in the ADSL and Boadband forum

Normally points to faulty filters or a faulty line. Is the noise there only when the modem is connected and the PC on ?Huh
N/A

Firstly i would try what aganderson said and try your master socket first.

If thats a major pain and you feel confident enough, unplug everything and unscrew the front of the wall socket.

Check that the Blue with White bands cable is plugged into connection 2 and the White with Blue bands cable is plugged into connection 5. It should be identical at the other end (im assuming the master socket) as well. Note from what ive seen BT tend to use lettering A and B instead of 2 and 5 on their master sockets.

In the majority of cases no other cables should be wired up. You may find that your on a dodgy old exchange and theyve required the Orange cable to get your phone ringing or some electrician has done something totally wierd with the cabling.

Its very simple todo and worth a shot.
N/A

To add to zebbedi, look at this page on UK phione wiring.
http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html

BT can fit a double faceplate master socket, although it is very rare in domestic installations and would have to be requested.