cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Connection Problem

N/A

ADSL Connection Problem

Help. I have been experiencing connection problems. I have two PC's on the house, one which connects just fine, the other, which is cabled to a BT socket in a different room just will not connect, or should I say it does for a second then the connection is dropped? All phones in the house have filters connected. Like I said this PC/Connection is fine.

I started getting problems since the upgrade to 2MB speed? Does anyone have any ideas or things I can try on the PC which runs OS Win XP Home service pack 2, anti virus protected and runs spyware s/w.

Help, Steve
10 REPLIES
N/A

ADSL Connection Problem

Hi

Welcome to the forums.

Just to clarify. Are you trying to run 2 simultaneous BB connections on the one account with out a router or Internet connection sharing?

Not exactly clear what your doing.
N/A

ADSL Connection Problem

Not simmultaneous. Just the one PC connected at any one time. If I lift the offending PC and plug into socket this one is working from I have no problems.
LiamM
Grafter

ADSL Connection Problem

Do you know your line stats?

Could be the socket that isn't working is just too far away to sync.

Have you tried switching around the hardware? Still get the problem? (i.e. to rule out Modems etc...)
hitachi
Grafter

ADSL Connection Problem

Are you using two modems?
I dont think you can have two conected to the line at the same time even if one of them is turned off.
N/A

ADSL Connection Problem

The PC/connection point in question has in the past 18 months worked fine with b/band connection. I think the problems arose when network speed were upgraded to 2 MB?

Like I have said. If I unplug the offending PC and plug into this BT socket it works fine? So that rules out the PC/Modem. The line can carry a dial tone with no audiable interference as have checked by connecting a handset.

Does anyone have any further suggestions as to what I can do at this end before I have to flag this to someone, and if I do who? BT or Plusnet??

ta,

Steve
jagger
Grafter

ADSL Connection Problem

How about a complete reversal of computers?
Does the one that connects ok still do it when hooked up to the other socket?

Could be a problem with that extension.
N/A

ADSL Connection Problem

A friend of mine had a similar sounding problem with his connection. He got a BT engineer in who ran some experiments ending up with the engineer disconnecting the 'bell wire' in the main BT socket.
His explanation was as follows. The BT connection into the house is a two wire connection. The socket then splits off a third wire, the bell wire which accompanies the other two wires around the house in order to make the extension phones ring.
The bell wire was acting as an aerial picking up interference from appliances, like dimmer switches, around the house. Disconnecting it, cleaned up the signal and enabled him to go from no ADSL to a 1.1MB connection.
Because he had microfilters in every socket, which contain capacitors, the extension phones still ring using the power supplied by the capacitors..

Hope this is of use.
Chris
N/A

ADSL Connection Problem

Thanks folks...very interesting Chris! I will get a mate in next week to run a new cable from the BT Socket to the room containing the PC with problem. If that fails I'll get a router and wireless card....as am fed up..

thanks all..

Steve
N/A

ADSL Connection Problem

Hi cjr64,
Just wanted to say thanks. I was having all sorts of connection problems where the modem wouldn't synch, and the connection was always dropping out. Last night I disconnected the bell wire from the extension socket and hey presto everything is hunky dory :lol:

The phones still as the microfilters do the same job as the master socket in creating the ring signal.

I am one happy camper!
jagger
Grafter

ADSL Connection Problem

Excellent news.
I like happy. Cheesy
Mind you,lucky is good too.

A mate of mine has just managed his first whole nights gaming after the FIFTH attempt by a BT engineer to fix his connection dropping.This time it worked,whatever it was he did,which means that the other four times that they said there was absolutely,definitely no problems with his line they were being......erm...........economical with the truth.

Still waiting for the freebie upgrade.Mind you ,I'm in a bit of a remote area here,25 miles from Westminster.