cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Broadband - Filter problems

N/A

Hi everyone,

Recently changed over to PlusNet Broadband Plus from dialup (27 May 05) and although not being technically minded managed to get broadband up and running with no apparent problems.

A couple of days ago my landline went dead so called in the BT engineer who after disengaging one of the filters got the telephone back on line and suggested the filter was defunct and possible the Voyager 105 USB ADSL Modem??

At the moment i am back in the dialup situation of having either Broadband on or disconnecting the dodgy filter and having the telephone on but not both.

Have had problems getting through to PlusNet so have emailed them asking for a replacement filter.

Anyone else had similar problems and will it pay to install more user friendly filters from elsewhere if it is indeed all down to a dodgy filter?
8 REPLIES
N/A

ADSL Filter

Not really much help to you but I had problems with the ADSL filter supplied in the Plusnet bundle. When using the phone you could hear all sorts of clicking etc. Replaced the filter with a Netgear one I "borrowed" from work and it all seems fine now.
N/A

The filters which come with PN are not the best quality, to be honest your better of buying a half decent one and this should solve your problems.

Try ADSL Nation, they do a good filter.
madswitcher
Grafter

Better still dump the in-line filters and get a filter faceplate from Clarity. It clears up no end of problems and is BT approved.

Mike
zebo-the-fat
Grafter

As far as I know, your phones should still work without a filter, but you will get a lot of noise in the background.
chymorva
Grafter

^^ True, but your ADSL will suffer (most likely not work at all as ordinary telephones make a good job of shorting out ADSL signals).
N/A

You need the filter, or otherwise everytime the phone rings or you use the phone your connection will drop.

The filter also contains a ring capacitor to arrest the current generated when a call comes in.
N/A

Thanks everyone, obviously a good debating point.

Got a message back from PlusNet asking for the return of the dodgy filter before a replacement could be sent but also suggested probably cheaper to buy a replacement filter locally for £1/£2. :roll: PC World charge £12.99 for a unbranded (Telcom) version.

Thought i'd give altin's idea a try: unplugged the filter at the main telephone point but left the one in at the PC/modem end and both PC and telephone on together and not a great deal of static. Broadband slows down when telephone rings which isn't a big problem really.

The only thing of concern is can i do any damage to any of my equipment by not using a second filter??

Thanks again for everyones contribution.
N/A

The only thing of concern is can i do any damage to any of my equipment by not using a second filter??

Not really, it'll just cause your ADSL connection problems. Normally it causes the line to disconnect