cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Bonding

N/A

ADSL Bonding

I have two ADSL broadband connections at 2MB each.

I am hosting my own server on one of the connections but the upload speed is becoming a really serious issue.

Am I able to bond both my ADSL connections to get a decent upload speed?

If so; how?

Many thanks

Dave

p.s.
Thats 2 BT lines each with their own plusnet broadband connection
8 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

ADSL Bonding

I don't believe Plusnet support bonded ADSL as I have enquired in the past.
LiamM
Grafter

ADSL Bonding

N/A

ADSL Bonding

Ta for that...

its a shame its not available; or at least its a shame that the UK is seen to be more of a DOWNLOAD country rather than an UPLOAD county.

I'd be happy to split my 2 MB connection and have 1MB up and 1 MB down; but thats not going to happen - lol - the germans have it better than us - !!

Thanks anyways; might have to look into outsourcing my services - laughs...now I sound like my boss who wants to outsource me - lol

Dave
LiamM
Grafter

ADSL Bonding

BT are currently trialling MaxDSL which is due for rollout in April 06.

This will allow upto 1Mb upload on the IPStream Office Max based products, which the more expensive Plusnet products are based on.

The problem is, we are bound to the restrictions of ADSL as a technology which declares 8Mb as max downstream and 1Mb as max upstream.
N/A

ADSL Bonding

BT are currently trialling MaxDSL which is due for rollout in April 06.

This will allow upto 1Mb upload on the IPStream Office Max based products, which the more expensive Plusnet products are based on.

The problem is, we are bound to the restrictions of ADSL as a technology which declares 8Mb as max downstream and 1Mb as max upstream.

So if our hardware can cope with 1MB upload and 8MB download; why cant I upload at 1mb ? is this plusnet or BT that restricts it?
Community Veteran

ADSL Bonding

BT primarily because the current IPstream based products (which PlusNet sell) only have a max of 256Kbs upload speeds. It is only SDSL that can have faster upload speeds at the moment until the MaxDSL trials are completed around April 2006.

Also the condition of your line will ultimately determin what speeds you will get, both upload and download.
N/A

ADSL Bonding

So its a case of sit tight and wait for another 2 years

Ta for all the info

Dave
N/A

ADSL Bonding

I'm currently using a Xrio Q-Balance router to increase the amount of outbound traffic I can upload. The particular model I have costs £5K and supports 30 ADSL lines and 300Mb/s upload throughput, but you can get a cheaper one that supports less lines.

The way it works is using Authoratative DNS. You set up the router to be the DNS server for a domain. Then when someone out on the internet (we'll call a Client) uses a URL to access a service you are hosting, that URL gets passed to your router for DNS resolution. The router then gives out an IP address corresponding to which ever of your ADSL lines is least busy to the Client and the Client then connects to the service through that IP. The router is IP persistant, so it will hold the connection between the Client and Service open and any more requests from the same Client will be brought in via the same IP, handy for VPN and HTTPS services.

More info at www.xrio.co.uk if you are interested and prices from a chap called Russell at http://www.1st-solution.co.uk/ (unfortunetly I'm not on comission)

This isn't the main reason I bought this router, I bought 3 of these, one for our offices in Manc, Birm and London. We can create a VPN tunnel using these routers between offices that combines all the lines to give a greater throughput.

So the Manchester to London connection uses 10 ADSL lines at both ends giving 2.5Mb 2-way throughput (10* 256K uplink). The Manc - Birm and London - Birm only uses 2 lines giving 512K 2-way throughput.

So quite a versatile little ADSL router Smiley

Cheers

J

Edit:- Whoops just realised I'm posting this logged into the wrong account.