cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL 500 50:1 vs 20:1

N/A

ADSL 500 50:1 vs 20:1

A question for support and/or people who have experienced both versions of the 500 product.

I am currently on the 50:1 ADSL product, which does fine for me, with very few problems, even at traditionally busy times of day. What real world benefits would I get from upgrading to the 20:1 product? Is it worth the extra few £s?

Also, would an upgrade cause a change in IP address? What other disruptions, apart from a cease and reprovide, should I expect?

Many thanks
Mark McManus
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ADSL 500 50:1 vs 20:1

> A question for support and/or people who have experienced both versions of the 500 product.
>
> I am currently on the 50:1 ADSL product, which does fine for me, with very few problems, even at traditionally busy times of day. What real world benefits would I get from upgrading to the 20:1 product? Is it worth the extra few £s?
>
> Also, would an upgrade cause a change in IP address? What other disruptions, apart from a cease and reprovide, should I expect?
>
>

Hi Mark,

The answer to this, for you right now, is that there would be no real difference if you upgraded. If you did upgrade you would probably get a new IP, although this could be solved if it was a big problem. The cease and reprovide will mean downtime of 1 or 2 weeks, but apart from that I can't think of any other disruption (As if that isn't enough).

With regard to Contention, I have reproduced a post I made to Usenet yesterday:

I think it is widely accepted that 50:1 contention, if it was applied at exchange level as it's advertised, would cause slowdowns at peak times. I don't believe it could ever get that bad as their would be uproar, but it is safe to say that the network is running at better than designed specification and as more people get broadband things will slowdown somewhat on 50:1 contended products. At the moment BT are managing things very well on the whole and maybe they will decide to stick with that policy but they will need to recoup the reduced revenue they will receive from May 1st and squeezing more users onto the same kit is one way to do it.

The big worry with 50:1 contended Datastream products, which the original 1 and 2MB products launched by Internet Central and others were based on, was that because of the costs involved the suppliers would have to squeeze the maximum amount of people onto every pipe and people would really feel it. The way it's gone I really don't think
that will be a problem on 20:1 IPStream.

The above reflects my thoughts based on the knowledge and the experience I have. While I'm payed to post in the group (:-O) the above doesn't reflect an 'official' statement from PlusNet!

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

RE: ADSL 500 50:1 vs 20:1

Many thanks for your replies to both my threads, Ian.

Both were clear and I understand the technical reasons a lot better. As your suggest I will check out ADSLGuide for more info.

Thanks again

Mark

> > A question for support and/or people who have experienced both versions of the 500 product.
> >
> > I am currently on the 50:1 ADSL product, which does fine for me, with very few problems, even at traditionally busy times of day. What real world benefits would I get from upgrading to the 20:1 product? Is it worth the extra few £s?
> >
> > Also, would an upgrade cause a change in IP address? What other disruptions, apart from a cease and reprovide, should I expect?
> >
> >
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> The answer to this, for you right now, is that there would be no real difference if you upgraded. If you did upgrade you would probably get a new IP, although this could be solved if it was a big problem. The cease and reprovide will mean downtime of 1 or 2 weeks, but apart from that I can't think of any other disruption (As if that isn't enough).
>
> With regard to Contention, I have reproduced a post I made to Usenet yesterday:
>
> I think it is widely accepted that 50:1 contention, if it was applied at exchange level as it's advertised, would cause slowdowns at peak times. I don't believe it could ever get that bad as their would be uproar, but it is safe to say that the network is running at better than designed specification and as more people get broadband things will slowdown somewhat on 50:1 contended products. At the moment BT are managing things very well on the whole and maybe they will decide to stick with that policy but they will need to recoup the reduced revenue they will receive from May 1st and squeezing more users onto the same kit is one way to do it.
>
> The big worry with 50:1 contended Datastream products, which the original 1 and 2MB products launched by Internet Central and others were based on, was that because of the costs involved the suppliers would have to squeeze the maximum amount of people onto every pipe and people would really feel it. The way it's gone I really don't think
> that will be a problem on 20:1 IPStream.
>
> The above reflects my thoughts based on the knowledge and the experience I have. While I'm payed to post in the group (:-O) the above doesn't reflect an 'official' statement from PlusNet!
>
> Regards,
>
> Ian Wild
> PlusNet Customer Support