cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL 1meg

zpeterk
Grafter

ADSL 1meg

I have up graded to 1 meg and and am getting test results between 765 and 840 is this about right?
18 REPLIES
N/A

ADSL 1meg

I am on 1mb 2 i am geting uploads of 244k and download rate of 919k
Community Veteran

ADSL 1meg

You should be able to get higher figures. You will need to adjust your MTU/RWIN values for the faster speed. See the MTU tweak thread for info.
zpeterk
Grafter

ADSL 1meg

tried the different mtu etc still not over 840 though the 1458/31196 seems best with least packet loss. Any one got anyy ideas?
N/A

ADSL 1meg

Could just be the contention, with other people being online at the moment in your area...
N/A

ADSL 1meg

What this about tweaking how do u do this
N/A

ADSL 1meg

Look in the first post of the MTU Tweak topic.
If you need any further help ask. Let us have some
feedback on your results in the MTU topic.
Alec
N/A

Re: ADSL 1meg

I have up graded to 1 meg and and am getting test results between 765 and 840 is this about right?

Do me a favour, and try the following:
MTU=1500
RWIN=8760

Be sure to reboot after setting these, and then use the PlusNet speed tester.
I'd be really interested in the results. A number of us have got unaccountably good results from such low RWIN values.
Community Veteran

ADSL 1meg

Also if you are using an external router (i.e. not USB) make sure the router uses the same MTU value as you set in your PC, otherwise changes to the PCs MTU value will have little or no effect.
N/A

ADSL 1meg

Also if you are using an external router (i.e. not USB) make sure the router uses the same MTU value as you set in your PC, otherwise changes to the PCs MTU value will have little or no effect.

Is this strictly neccessary in all cases? My router (a ZyXEL P652R-11) has an MTU of 1500 set and is a bit of an undocumented pig to change. However, changing the MTU on my PC alone has a marked effect. I would have imagined that, so long as your PC's MTU is <= your router's MTU, the PC's MTU should win. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Community Veteran

ADSL 1meg

I always recommend where multiple MTU values exist in a connection (either on multiple PCs or in PCs and external routers) that they all be set the same. The MTU determins the maximum packet size that can be sent and received to/from the destination.

If all MTU values are the same, it means there is no additional overhead in the router having to convert IP packet sizes between the WAN (internet connection) side and the PC side.

e.g. if the WAN side uses MTU of 1500 and the PC side uses an MTU of 1478, if 1500 bytes (simple example I know there are header overheads) were received by the router in a single packet, it would require 2 packets to send it to the PC: 1st packet contains 1478 bytes and 2nd contains 22 bytes with the corresponding overhead of additional packets and the conversion.

This may not make a great deal of difference in practice but the less the router has to work, the better chance there is to get improved throughput.
mitchell20
Grafter

ADSL 1meg

MTU and RWIn tweaks made absolutley no difference to my poor 1Mb speeds - I've put it down to been very highly contended.....
N/A

ADSL 1meg

Yeah, that seems to be the overriding factor. Since my exchange was "upgraded", I can get a pretty constant 965Kb/s, but only as long as I stay on 1500/8760. Any higher an RWIN, and my D/L speeds (and efficiency measurements) start to suffer badly.
N/A

ADSL 1meg

Still not sure what 2 so we the tweak help me plz. Just go through it with me thanks
N/A

ADSL 1meg

OK,

Download DrTCP.
In DrTCP, make the following changes:

TCP Receive Window : 8760 <--- this is known as "RWIN"
Window Scaling : No
Time Stamping : No
Selective Acks: Yes
Dial Up (RAS) MTU : 1500
Path MTU Discovery: Yes
Black Hole Detection: No
Max Duplicate Acks: 2
TTL: 64
Adapter Settings (select Network adapter, if that's what you're connecting with): 1500

Click "Save" and then "Exit".
Reboot your PC.
Go to PlusNet -> Connection Settings -> Speed Test and have a look-see.,

[/url]