cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A nice easy one

N/A

A nice easy one

Hopefully.

Been a PlusNet customer for three years and no problems till now. Could not log on on Sunday and now when I try to log on a window appears saying "dialling" rather than the usual "Verifying username and password".

My usual method of system restore won't work as all the restore points have vanished for some reason.

If anyone has experienced this or can suggest anything I'd be very grateful.

Not very techie so simple as possible please. Cheesy

Regards, Dave.
3 REPLIES
N/A

DUN probs Ivan

Hello Dave,

Are you using Broadband or Dailup access? and what kind of product do you use for internet access ie. Modem or Router?

**Does your Modem / Router use some kind of dailup manager software normally when you connect to F9 (yes! in case you ask I have a USB broadband modem which does use a dailup type system for making the connection). Yes! my modem dials (But not a phone number) I would normally see the username & pass verification box shortly then it connects.

**If you have any spyware software like Ad_Aware or Spybot Search & Destroy then I definately advise that you run this to check that your machine hasnt been hijacked by some sort of Malware or Spyware, also run your Anti Virus software too so as to check for a virus infection.

**Some malicious diallers can be extremely extremely agressive and can literally attack your machine whilst on the internet, such diallers can install themselves in seconds and so quickly that its installed before the users has had time to respond. However, malicious diallers on the whole can be removed mostly without any serious damage to your system.

AdAware by Lavasoft is a free for personal use spyware detection program and has good ratings (URL) http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Also Spyware Search & destroy also has high ratings.

**You could try deleting the old windows DialUp Network connection (but write down all the settings before you delete it) Then recreate the DUN this often can cure such problems.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!
N/A

A nice easy one

Hello Ivan,

Thanks fo the reply

**Does your Modem / Router use some kind of dailup manager software normally when you connect to F9 (yes! in case you ask I have a USB broadband modem which does use a dailup type system for making the connection). Yes! my modem dials (But not a phone number) I would normally see the username & pass verification box shortly then it connects

This is me. I use a Dynamode A360 modem through a USB so I will try deleting the old dial up connections tonight.

I ran my AVG anti virus scanner last night and I had no viruses at all let alone a dialler trojan which I thought it may be. I still think there may be a virus though as all my restore checkpoints have vanished which is odd.

I've tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it but with no luck.
N/A

Re: DUN probs Ivan

**You could try deleting the old windows DialUp Network connection (but write down all the settings before you delete it) Then recreate the DUN this often can cure such problems.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!

Ivan, top man, this seems to have done the trick. Much appriciated, thanks.