cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A little dissapointed after moving to PlusNet

N/A

Hi,
After spending some time trolling through these forums, it seems as if I am not the only person disappointed with PN's service.

I recently moved from Virgin 512k service, which I found perfect, never had an issue with apart from when the service went down for about a week (which they compensated me for).
I mainly use BB for online gaming where good ping rates are essential (Battlefield 2) Never had an issue with being disconnected with Virgin, and then I went to Plusnet... Now I get all kinds of problems being kicked out in the middle of a game (usually at a critical moment like lining up a shot on someone as they are lining up on me).

I have submitted several tickets to PN about this which I get replies like "can you run speedchecks between the hours of 12 - 7am" well although I am a gamer, I don’t want to stay up to do silly speedtests.
I usually get quite good download speeds from the net (I'm on 2mb connection) but it is sooo frustrating trying to play a game online.
I have sent PN details of a traceroute to the servers I was connecting to, which I am awaiting their response on them, but it seems the problem is quite high lag spikes through one of plusnets servers i.e. I get an average of 15ms to it, but over a period of 1 minute it spikes to well over 300ms.
I am wondering if it is entirely PNs fault, or maybe I have something drastically wrong my end. Please bear in mind that I have used all my original equipment that I was using with Virgin (I had my own netgear modem/router dg814 I think from memory) and I haven’t changed anything (apart from the obvious different username and password) and that I have the same issue with a brand new computer I just built.

So I am asking if any of you out there have similar issues and if it can be rectified either at my end or plus nets side, or would I be better off looking to go back to Virgin with my tail between my legs!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
9 REPLIES
N/A

Netgear router. Oh dear. This has allegedly been sorted. Please trawl, rather than troll, through the forums again for Netgear issues. I don't think you meant trolling...they tend to be asked to leave. Wink
N/A

I did mean trawl, excuse my bad spelling.

What is troll anyway in forum speak?
Lorian
Grafter

N/A

It's not a problem with the netgear router, I have a belkin and the "free" BT Voyager router that plusnet send out and I get the same problems. It's to do with the throttling during peak times.
I'm getting close to the point now of paying their stupidly high leaving fee and going to a much better ISP, come back pipex all is forgiven!!!!
It's really frustrating when you try to do anything during peak times with regards to gaming when you know everyone else on other isp's are on and working 100%.
And to think I was going to suggest plusnet as an ISP for about 5 other people!!! And I know my colleagues suggested I join plusnet but there all thinking of jumping ship too!!!

Arrrgh,

Dan
N/A

OK, As a brand new user to PlusNet, also recommended to me... and particularly one with gaming interest. I've signed up to the broadband premier service, and am very concerned that it's not going to meet my needs now. So, to be frank, I'm looking to establish if this is a typical experiance that I'm likely to face, or is it a problem that only a hanful of plus net folks are experiancing?
N/A

I wouldnt like to say.....
Although I am on the cheapy £15 a month service, but I would have thought the connection would be a little better.
I am still awaiting a pro-active response from plusnet, not just the usual "please check you havnt got spyware and ensure you have the latest drivers" or the "24ms average ping is absolutly fine" (not taking into account the 300ms+ spikes) responses.
I will let you know if my issue gets resolved though, I am sure they will get it fixed (one day soon I hope!)
N/A

Lmao...
Just like to add, I have just got a response... lol
"please run the BT speedtest program"

lol... again?......
Do you guys not believe me or something??

anyway at this point I can only laugh...

Seriously though, this issue may be totally my fault and not Plusnets...
I will keep you updated.
N/A

i was with metronet for quite some time and i must adnit thier service was no1 every time like the initial poster i use bb for gaming bf2 etc. when i moved house i was a little bit strapped for coinage and thier new install fee £60 i had to say no to
nthell took my order and after a totaly crap 6months of shyte service from them i began looking and thinking hmmmm metro net i think the ccrd crd is going to have to stand the £60.
i then finds out that metro net has been taken by plusnet and as they were waiving the £80 connection fee i think great sign up luv u luv u luv hmm

i am now getting a little worried as i sit her ready to fire up my belkin ethernet modem router and re attachit to the lynksys gateway in the house as 6 days on i ma still on the first stage of my connection nothing seems to be moving ans i dont think its being pushed along the system to meet the 7days promised. plus having read some of the comments in her i am wondering if i have jumped out of the frying pan Huh please guys give me some positive feed i cut ntl off 2nd jan and will be gameless
N/A

very poor service

i have been capped on my use of paraphrasing as well it seems

i wishe they were at quick at responding to the customer service issues as they are at slapping the wrist of a disgruntled customers

i may have used a slightly inapropriate term
but its people like me who pay your wages

and if were not happy you get none

ever thought of actualy asking people why they are un happy and feel they need to express them selves in such a way instead of putting the big rubber stompy boots on i bet some one calls me quick enough if i stop the DD??
so i will askpolitley
dear poor service plus net will you please disconect my service and close my account before i feel i need to speak to watchdog , consumer solicitors and ofcom r
regards stomped on