cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A friend told me.......

N/A

A friend told me.......

......the reason why my switch data transfer light was flashing.

Some time ago, I noticed that the lights on my switch and router were flashing even though none of our PCs were even on. I thought this a little weird so enlisted the services of a workmate (the human kind and not the one that helps build things Smiley ) and he said it was something to do with 'your ISP'. Given that he works for an IT company and I am fairly literate when it comes to things of this nature, he didn't seem to know the ins and outs of the problem but elightened me with this: Apparently PlusNet (herinafter 'your ISP') are sending information to the router, it's bouncing around the network that isn't on and then going bck out again. 'Your ISP' have set up the static IP in a weird way, I don't know how, but it's something to do with the way it's set up.'

As you can imagne, this didn't fill me with the confidence he knew exactly what he was talking abuot but nonetheless, it has sewn the seed.

Does anyone know how this could be true. I'm not going to simply turn my network off, as it defeats the purpose really. Is it PN sending information out as they know the IP adderss is active? Is it something else? Could it be aliens...I hope so! :S

If someone were able toshed some light on this as this traffic not only appears at night when all the PCs are off, but also when they're on and the LAN traffic indicator in XP is almost on all the time (assuming things like peer-to-peer and IM programs are off).

For the very reason that this is not a technical prolem as such, I have chosen to raise it here....but I could raise it on Contact Us if deemed necessary.

Cheers
11 REPLIES
N/A

A friend told me.......

Do a CTRL+ALT+DEL in XP, and bring up the netwokring tab.

What usage does that show.

Even with a 100mb network, DSL traffic which would only account for just over 0.5% of the traffic, can keep the notification on perminatly.

What does the tab show your usage as.
N/A

A friend told me.......

Have you got any port forwarding configured on your router?

Tim
N/A

A friend told me.......

Ctrl+Alt+Del hasn't been done yet as this happens when all the machines are off, so to be honest, I'm not sure what it would show, but I will give it a go.

Regarding the port forwarding there is some on there. ONe for an FTP server that doesn't work, and another one which I forget as it's been so long since I used it.

If the PCs were on then I could understand but this is happening whennothing but the router and switch are on.

When the PCs are on Ihave a program to find out where the traffic is coming and going, which may shed some light.

It's a weird thing.... Smiley
N/A

A friend told me.......

It may be a problem within the router that is causing some form of destination un reachable feedback loop, in conjunction with a built in firewall.

It may well originate from a incoming request that is the port forwarded, then as your friend noted, loop around inseide the router.

The only real way to test this would be to use a diagnostics station, to see what the data actualy is if there is any.
N/A

A friend told me.......

Is it just the synch from the exchange. My router has a light that is always flashing (except when the synch fails) to indicate that all is working. Continues flashing through the night, when I am away, pcs on or not.
N/A

A friend told me.......

I'm seeing exactly the same thing. I even phoned PN support last night to ask what it was. They came up blank.

In my case, I have no port forwarding enabled (WAN->LAN). I've installed Port Explorer on my PC to try to catch the activity, but nothing shows up. I therefore concluded that it's being blocked by the router. However, to contradict this, I also run DU Meter and can clearly see the D/L figure change from 0 to 0.6kbps as the router light flashes. There's no other activity going on on the PC at the time.

It continues to happen 24 hours a day whether the one attached PC is powered up or not. Activity occurs at about 10second intervals.

My router is the ZyXEL 652R Security Router. I've tried configuring the router log to catch the traffic, but have so far been unsuccessful. I, too, have a static IP from PlusNet.

I'd really like to know what this traffic is!

Chris
Community Veteran

A friend told me.......

Open a command prompt window and do the command
netstat 3

This will show your network activity on your machine, refreshing every 3 seconds, use CTRL and Break to stop it.

Chris
N/A

A friend told me.......

Tried it. It told me zilch. The good ol' router light was doing its regular flash, but netstat still churned out the same stuff.
mike001
Grafter

A friend told me.......

What router are you using.
N/A

A friend told me.......

Like I said, 4 posts ago, ZyXEL 652R Security Router.
mike001
Grafter

A friend told me.......

ooppsss sorry that was ment to be for ..happycat

Only asked as I had the same probs with My router...turnd out to be the dam thing was trying to get acsses to a time server to set the clock....I had to Upgrade the software for the router to fixit