cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few general ADSL questions....

N/A

Hi,

i've ordered ADSL, and i'm a tad confused.

I thought ADSL was 'Always On' but i hear people talking of dialling in?

How long does that take?

Is there any way to keep it on all the time?

Thanks. :?:
9 REPLIES
N/A

"Allways on" in the DSL world. means that there is no need to drop connection, to do other tasks like making phone calls, sending faxes and any other item that can be done over a phone line.

When connection to DSL, in simple terms the following happens

1: You connect modem to phone line
2: The modem synchronises with the exchange. Simalar to the modem noises you used to here, but usualy quicker (anything from 3 to 15 seconds)
3: Your modem sends the username and password to complete the setup of the connection

With DSL however, you can drop connection (step 3), and maintain the sync (from step 2), thus making connection much quicker the next time.

Depending on the connection equipment you choose, and how it is setup, after connecting to the phone line, you can be surfing within around 1/3 of the time of a normal modem (this is after the initial setup of the device).
N/A

Are you saying that people can stay connected(after logging on)ALL day?
BULL!!
what about all the other 49 users
Community Veteran

ADSL isn't a contended connnection, it is contended bandwidth, so yes you can be online all day, it's just your bandwidth maybe shared by upto 20 or 50 users.

Chris
stonechat
Grafter

Always on

And returning to the original question, if you use and external ADSL router /(connected to you computer by network) then this remains on as long as you don't switch the router off. As soon as the PC is up, ther internet/email is instanlty available

Bob
N/A

So, when does your connection disconnect? (i'll be using a usb modem)

Does it disconnect after a set time? or just when you turn off your computer.

Thanks for your answers.
Community Veteran

If you leave your machine and your modem on and plugged in then theoretically you will stay online all the time.
USB modems can be a bit iffy though sometimes and obviously computers sometimes crash or the ADSL service might be down for whatever reason.
But yes you can stay online all the time, there are no idle cut offs or disconnections after X hours or anything like that.

Chris
Community Veteran

Re: Always on

And returning to the original question, if you use and external ADSL router /(connected to you computer by network) then this remains on as long as you don't switch the router off. As soon as the PC is up, ther internet/email is instanlty available

Bob

Yes that is correct.
Having used both a USB modem and now a router there is no way that I would go back.
As long as the mains is on to the router it is connected and ready for you to go on line.
N/A

The only time your modem/router disconnect is when you physically remove the power from it i.e on/off switch or pull plug from wall.

Only other disconnection is if BT bugger up at their end or +net have probs.

Othewise it's literally 24/7.
N/A

Thanks alot guys. Smiley