cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A contentious issue

N/A

A contentious issue

Up until a couple of months ago I was enjoying pretty reasonable speeds on my 'up to 8mb' line - the speed tests on plus net site resulting in figures above 4500 off peak. Recently, its never much more than 10% of that - browsing sometimes feels like I'd be just as quick to use dial-up.

It's so consistantly bad that I've tried the plusnet online fault checker, which tells me that my exchange contention status is red - which suggests that there is a problem, but it's in the hands of BT. Is that it?! Do I just wait and continue paying a premium for a service I'm not getting?
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

A contentious issue

Despite PN saying that the exchange is red (which btw, we're all told - no customer here seems to have a green exchange) I'd advise you to check with your neighbours/friends in your area and see if any others have ISP's reporting your exchange as bad.

It's rather strange because I know no-one else who has this issue of red exchanges. It only seems to be us PN users.. who incidentally are having issues with PN not having enough bandwidth!

Rather ironic really.. NOT that I'm suggesting any sort of link..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
N/A

A contentious issue

I have a green exchange and have never had any major speed issues.

<conspiracy theory>

That of course is because I am a good boy and tow the company line.

</conspiracy theory>

I thought I might as well say that before someone else did.

Anyway, in all seriousness, there are a multitude of reasons why your broadband speed might have been cut.

As always, first port of call is the BT Speedtester, log on with your telephone number and broandband username (usually in the format <username>@plusdsl.net) and post back the full results.
N/A

A contentious issue

Test results:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 96 kbps(UP-STREAM) 1152 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 459 kbps

What do you reckon?

BTW, unfortunately I don't really know any broadband users in my area to compare with.

Thanks,
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

A contentious issue

The IP profile on your line shows that at some point your equipment has synced low with the exchange. If your equipment remains synced at a higher speed for 3-5 days then BT will lift the speed profile on your line again.
You may find James post useful for understanding the technology.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

A contentious issue

Thanks for the quick reply Chris,

I've read James' post, thanks. I'm still not sure how my equipment synced at the lower speed, like I say, it was working fine until a month or so ago - could this have happened by connecting at a point in time when my speed was being capped due exceeding peak time allowances?

Anyway, it's been stuck on slow for a while and I'm also not sure how my equipment will resync at a higher speed to prompt BT to lift the speed. I notice from
http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate
that I should "disconnect and reconnect once a day for 3 days", but I've been reseting my connection pretty regularly over the past few days anyway...should it be once and only once a day?

Thanks
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

A contentious issue

The peak-time restrictions will have no effect on your sync speed at all.

If you use a modem or router what speed is it syncing at and what line stats are you getting?

This page should give you information on how to get the connection stats.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

A contentious issue

My 3com Router is reporting the following at the moment:

Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Up Stream 96 (Kbps.)
Down Stream 1152 (Kbps.)

Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 6 dB 3 dB
Attenuation 63 dB 51 dB

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 6596 715191
Fast Path CRC Error 0 0
Interleaved Path CRC Error 12 198
Loss of Signal Defect 0 ---
Fast Path HEC Error 0 0
Interleaved Path HEC Error 68 0

Thanks
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

A contentious issue

With a downstream of 1152 you may see an IP profile of 1Mb, however this will only update if the connection syncs at this level or higher for 3-5 days.

The table at this page shows the different sync speeds and the corresponding IP profiles.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

A contentious issue

Okay, thanks Chris, but I'm still not clear on one key thing: shouldn't my router's downstream be reported as at least 4mb seeing as I was connecting at that rate fine for months? Would I be right in concluding that something may be wrong with the physical wiring up to my router, or the original point about contention at the exchange?

Thanks
N/A

A contentious issue

I think I may have sussed it: a microfilter had been unplugged from the upstairs phone - I've pulgged it back in and now I get this:

Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Up Stream 256 (Kbps.)
Down Stream 4704 (Kbps.)

I take it that if I give it three to five days, reseting the connection daily, then I should be back up to speed.

Thanks
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

A contentious issue

Yep that looks like it's done the trick, syncing at that speed should see the IP profile raise back to 4Mb in a few days.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

A contentious issue

I have a green exchange and have never had any major speed issues.

<conspiracy theory>

That of course is because I am a good boy and tow the company line.

</conspiracy theory>

As much as I respect your attempt to pass that off with some sarcasm, it comes extremely close to what seems to be the truth. Let me see, the term "plausible deniability" springs to mind.

It is strange how all the PN supporters on this forum always seem to have a form of close relationship with PN and also a good service. The rest of us.... well I won't get started.
N/A

A contentious issue

Has it occurred to you that PN supporters support them because of good service, and not the other way around.
Community Veteran

A contentious issue

Yes... but there's so many unhappy customers here that it would seem rather unlikely..