cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Router that distributes an IP to each computer.....

craigbrass
Grafter

Hi,

Is there a router that would distribute IP's to each computer. Say if I had 4 computers named PC1, PC2, PC3 and PC4 and had an 8 block of IP's (which I don't have yet), but say I had the range 212.159.98.48 - 212.159.98.55, would I be able to get a router that would set the IP's like the following :-

212.159.98.48 - Blank IP as the first in block is useless
212.159.98.49 - Router's IP
212.159.98.50 - PC1's IP
212.159.98.51 - PC2's IP
212.159.98.52 - PC3's IP
212.159.98.53 - PC4's IP
212.159.98.54 - Spare IP
212.159.98.55 - Spare IP

I do not want the router to just forward the IP to the computer, I want it to actually distribute the IP's to the computer so when you click on the network connection in XP it actually says that IP rather than a local IP. So basically I want to get rid of local IP's. Can you recomend a router for my needs? I currenctly have a Jetway router with an Alcatel chipset.

Yours,
Craig Brass
8 REPLIES
N/A

Most routers that provide a built in DHCP server should be able to do this. Provided you can configure the range the it dishes out.

However, that may not always solve your problem.

If your using static IP's like this, why not just configure the machine manualy?
craigbrass
Grafter

I have tryed that but it just doesn't work....
N/A

What router do you currently have? Does it support the ability for routed IP's?
craigbrass
Grafter

Not sure exactly. I got it from a computer fair about a year ago. It says it has an alcatel chipset inside the config area but does not say the manafacturer anywhere on it or inside the config area. After a bit of research I think it is a Jetway one. Click here for a screenshot of it.
N/A

looks like an alcatel ar11 modem m8 like th eone plusnet used to supply

http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/product/modem/ar11/ar11.HTM

is one thing i can find i think aceex made one the exact same

http://www.aceex.com.tw/test1/product/ar119.htm however this looks like a newer model

regards

gedster
craigbrass
Grafter

The actual router looks like the jetway image that you just posted the url for.

I know this router is a crappy one, what I want to know is do you know of any routers that have inbuilt modems and preferbly one that has a wireless access point inbuilt into it too that will allow me to distribute the global (not internal) IP's directly to the computers within my network. Direct url to the product would be nice.....

Yours,
Craig Brass
N/A

Hi,

I am not a techie but have just purchased a Netgear DG834G and this has an inbuilt modem and wireless access point. Not sure about the othe rpoint you raised which i think was the main one Shockedops: but it may be a start.

Paul
N/A

Router

You may want to look at this router as its 1 of the best on the market
http://www.corega-international.com/default.asp?SCREEN=product&section=464&productID=465

Its available from ebuyer