cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Further Puzzle

N/A

A Further Puzzle

I really do not understand what is going on with my connection.

When I initially went to the BT site to see what sort of speed I could expect to get when I was "MAXed" with the figures from my router inerted into the page...... the answer came back as a maximum reliable rate of 6500 Kbps which was fair enough.

Then my upgrade happened and during the "training" period the figure on Plusnets Stable rate web page was 8000Kbps and remained so for a while then after a week or two it settled back to a reading of 6000Kbps and stayed there until yesterday 15th July when for some reason it suddenly dropped back to 4000Kbps and remained there till sometime this morning here is the reading from the stable rate page at 1400hrs today 16th July

Your High-speed Broadband Service?Your current broadband speed is 2500 Kbps

and here are the reading from my router again at 1400hrs today

DSL Status : Up
DSL Modulation Mode : GDMT
DSL Path Mode : FAST
Downstream Rate : 8128 Kbps
Upstream Rate : 832 Kbps
Downstream Margin : 9 db
Upstream Margin : 13 db
Downstream Line Attenuation : 13
Upstream Line Attenuation : 8
Downstream Transmit Power : 0
Upstream Transmit Power : 0

and a Plusnet speed test just prior to the visit to the stable rate page, and getting readings from my router is as follows

16-07-2006 13:59:13 2383.8

Anyone have any ideas...... educated guesses..... or wild stabs in the dark as to why over a period of time my connection seems to be slowly reverting itself back to my 2 meg connection days which to be honest if Plusnet offered a way back to a fixed 2 Meg connection I would be there like a shot as that was a good stable connection and I only discovered the figures above because I had 4 or 5 connection drops between 1230hrs and 1345hrs and was trying to nail down a reason for them.

Do any of those figures or readings indicate something external to my equipment or would something like a dying router produce effects like that? Because I thought that once the "training" period was over the figure you ended up with was, good or bad what you were stuck with which in my case was 6000Kbps and it did not change from that point on.So why is mine apparently getting lower and lower.
2 REPLIES
lingbob
Grafter

A Further Puzzle

It's probably the 4 or 5 connection drops in the space of just over an hour that's caused your stable rate to come down. BT's equipment monitors your connection all the time and not just during the "training period". I don't know whether you've seen it but there's quite a good document here about MaxDSL.
N/A

A Further Puzzle

Thanks bitzbox

It made interesting reading, I had'nt seen the article you mentioned but I suppose up until now I have been fortunate and I had no reason to.Interesting to note though that the speed change is the result of the disconnections and not the cause of them.