cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8mb upgrade/help needed

N/A

8mb upgrade/help needed

Cheesy Hi all, my connection speed has been reading 7.6mb for weeks now but i still seem to be getting the same poor download speeds. I have been carrying out random speed tests with very poor results. As far as i am aware my line can take up to the 8mbs, the other night i did a speed test and it came out at 400k, OMG!!!!! whats going on?, can anyone help before i contact techinical support?. I do think myself though thats its definately PNS servers because every single family member and friend i have been to that have aol or ntl etc download files like lighting faster than i do, even with a crappy 2mb connection, thx all kind regards MTB Cheesy .
7 REPLIES
ady
Grafter

8mb upgrade/help needed

seems that your BRAS profile is stuck

well this is my link to see my BRAS profile
http://www.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

dunno weather that will work for you
N/A

8mb upgrade/help needed

Hi m8, what do you mean by BRAS profile stuck?, is there anyway i can sort this out?, cheers Cheesy .
N/A

8mb upgrade/help needed

mentalbobe:

This is applicable if your on a BT Product.

As I understand it there are 2 profiles that govern your speed. The first is with BT at your local exchange and can be seen using this method:-

http://test.speedtester.bt.com:50301/

The above speed tester is very busy at times and you may have to try several times before you get a result. Look for the IP Profile figure.

The second governing profile is the Stable Rate published by PN at:-

http://www.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

These two figures should match one another fairly closely. BT supplies PN with a report so they can update the Stable Rate figure. This process can take a couple of days so the stable rate update can/will lag behind.

HTH
N/A

8mb upgrade/help needed

Cheesy Cheers m8 much appreciated Cheesy .
vic_newey
Grafter

8mb upgrade/help needed

The problem is that no matter how dire your speed is the BT checker will tell you its within acceptable limits, i.e less than 1000 is o.k. for an up to 8 meg connection :roll:
N/A

8mb upgrade/help needed

Shocked Hi m8, well PN contacted me and said my speed is 7000kbps, for example of poor speed, it took me 4 days to download a 2gb file, i got my sister with a different provider and a 2mb connection to download the same file as me, and guess what!!, it only took her 50mins Evil :? , ive also ran numerous speed tests and the highest ive had is 1800kbps read out, i only download at around 10/40kbps average though, even 70/100 kbps would do for me but it has never happened, i just did a speed test just now and it came out around 1000kbps Evil . Was even thinking of upgardeing to a netgear wiress router/modem, do you think this would help my speed issue at all or am i wasteing my time because PNS server are so ****?, thx regards Shocked Shocked .
N/A

8mb upgrade/help needed

Maybe you should take your router to your sisters or a friend that has a different ISP and see if you still have the same speed problems (just to rule the router out as the problem) as PN will amybe say it's a problem your end..