cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8mb..........really?

N/A

8mb..........really?

Hi guys it's got to the sarcastic stage.......

Don't know if i expect someone to help me or I'm just griping....

On Saturday 20th May i was happily enjoying 2mb and had been since decemenber with the occassional minor hiccup.... these things happen you know. On Sunday 21st at 0630 plusnet upgraded me to 8mb. Since then the only connection I have had is Pay as you go Dial-up.

Numerous calls to support got nowhere.(I had run internal diagnostics and was pretty sure it was a line problem)

3 weeks later they send a BT engineer out., and after 15 minutes later he said he couldn't see a fault on the line, and said it was reading 7.98mb.

I showed him that I couldn't connect I couldn't connect to the internet. He tried with his laptop using his modem the Voyager 105 (same as mine) and neither could he on his ISP or Plusnet using my details. 4 Hours later after changing the line and several calls to his support still no joy He said he was going to have to get a Frame Analyst out. When I checked my e-mail, plusnet had informed me that they had bt had closed the fault......... I must be getting cynical in my old age but that is what I expected to happen. You don't spend Hundreds of pounds in terms of time money and effort in order to fix a fault with a line that only generates revenue of £133 a year?.

Since then have tried other USB modems, a Router, and an alternative computer all with no luck.

Any suggestions? Am Running a G5 Power Mac on OS X 10.4.6 with the choice of BT Voyager 105 MOdem or Netgear DG834PN.

Unfortunatley now it take over an hour to get through to customer services and the fault checker has a fault?
4 REPLIES
N/A

8mb..........really?

a lot of people have had problems with the voyager 105.

try this

http://www.voyager.bt.com/booster/
N/A

8mb..........really?

Thanks for the effort grazc It may work on PC but not on Mac
N/A

Re: 8mb..........really?

Hi guys it's got to the sarcastic stage.......

Don't know if i expect someone to help me or I'm just griping....

On Saturday 20th May i was happily enjoying 2mb and had been since decemenber with the occassional minor hiccup.... these things happen you know. On Sunday 21st at 0630 plusnet upgraded me to 8mb. Since then the only connection I have had is Pay as you go Dial-up.

Numerous calls to support got nowhere.(I had run internal diagnostics and was pretty sure it was a line problem)

3 weeks later they send a BT engineer out., and after 15 minutes later he said he couldn't see a fault on the line, and said it was reading 7.98mb.

I showed him that I couldn't connect I couldn't connect to the internet. He tried with his laptop using his modem the Voyager 105 (same as mine) and neither could he on his ISP or Plusnet using my details. 4 Hours later after changing the line and several calls to his support still no joy He said he was going to have to get a Frame Analyst out. When I checked my e-mail, plusnet had informed me that they had bt had closed the fault......... I must be getting cynical in my old age but that is what I expected to happen. You don't spend Hundreds of pounds in terms of time money and effort in order to fix a fault with a line that only generates revenue of £133 a year?.

Since then have tried other USB modems, a Router, and an alternative computer all with no luck.

Any suggestions? Am Running a G5 Power Mac on OS X 10.4.6 with the choice of BT Voyager 105 MOdem or Netgear DG834PN.

Unfortunatley now it take over an hour to get through to customer services and the fault checker has a fault?

I use Mac G5 and G4 Pb ... I ditched the Voyager modem and got a Linksys (which worked for a while) then a D-link (which worked for a while) ... Now I have no connection using any of the router/modems ... I'm going to get legal advice on this ... I pay my monthly subscription charge but don't get a full months connectivity ... there must be a compensation setup ... Its driving me mad ....
N/A

Routers

I went out yesterday and just bought a Netgear router and at the moment it's working like a dream getting just over 8mb..... however have had a month of dialup.

From what i can gather the Voyager/usb modems are not compatible with high speed access that 8mb brings. Which is why there is a patch for pc users. BT say that they will not write software for every new version of OS.(see btsucks.com)

As for your legal position, could be tricky but you may have a case particularly if you were using the modem that they originally supplied. to get charges refunded. I would speak to CAB/Trading Standards/OFCOM for advice. Before speaking to a lawyer.