cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8mb Upgrade

N/A

8mb Upgrade

First of all I apologies for yet another one of these threads, it seems there are quite a few around but I didn't want to post my questions in someone elses thread.

I put in a ticket (21464844) for the upgrade around 17 days ago. I'm not really in any real rush but I am a bit confused about a couple of things.

Firstly my connection here is showing I am connecting at 5.1Mpbs yet when downloading my speed seems to max out at 230kb/s.
While checking this out I saw this.

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

Your High-speed Broadband Service

Your current broadband speed is 2000 Kbps

http://www.speedtester.bt.com reports.

IP profile for your line is - 4500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 5120 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1811 kbps

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this so a bit of clarification on what is going on with my connection at the moment would be very welcome.
10 REPLIES
Liam
Grafter

8mb Upgrade

Hi there,

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the systems at our end have been updated with your new IP Profile just yet.

I've manually increaed the Stable Rate at our end, however, so you should see an improvement if you reconnect.

Cheers,
Liam
N/A

8mb Upgrade

I've supposedly been on 8m for months, but I get something similar

IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1947 kbps

Should I submit a ticket?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

8mb Upgrade

What does https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate say?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

8mb Upgrade

It says 6000.
Community Veteran

8mb Upgrade

Can you disconnect/reconnect and then run a speed test. I did send a private message to Liam pointing to your post and it's possible he has corrected it.

Also, what account type are you on and what is your peak usage for this month and last month?

Edit: Liam and I posted at the same time!
Liam
Grafter

8mb Upgrade

That's because I've just upped it at our end :-)

Reconnect and it should all be fine. Don't appear to be any delta reports showing at BT's end for your line.
N/A

8mb Upgrade

Yep, latest speed test says:

Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4233 kbps

Now can anyone explain why my peer to peer starts slowing after 9am? Goes from around 200 kBs down to 45-50 kBs. If I stop some of the downloads, the rest speed up to take up the slack...

I'm on Premier option 1 and have not exceeded the allowance this month.
Community Veteran

8mb Upgrade

Have a look at https://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/network/bb_premier1.shtml

I would also say look at http://www.plus.net/support/network_performance/broadband_bandwidth_usage.shtml but there was a blip yesterday which has wrecked the scaling of the second graph.

Basically the priority protocols take so much bandwidth during the day and evening that the low priority protocols (including P2P are squeezed out).

If your usage is suitable, PAYG gives good performance on P2P all day and evening (see link in my signature).
N/A

8mb Upgrade

Graphs don't really tell me much - scale is too small. Looks like demand for P2P is constant throughout the day, with web browsing increasing during daytime and falling away at night - no real suprise Smiley

This morning I saw over 600 kBs which is more like it! Seems to average somewhere around 350 kBs though. Still better than before so thanks guys...
Community Veteran

8mb Upgrade

What you have to remember is that except when the packet drop graph shows zero, the network is 100% utilised. This means that something has to be restricted. As you have correctly observered the high priority protocols increase during the day so the low priority protocols like P2P get squeezed and the speeds will fall.

If you look at the graph around 4pm this afternoon when the blip has moved off you should be able to see better what is happening.

Edit: Forgot to point out that the graph auto-scales.