cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8 meg Connection yet really low download speeds.

N/A

Hi all.

I recently moved to plusnet broadband in february on an 8 meg connection.the downloads speeds used to be relatively high.

the other day i noticed everything running really slow, not a great deal faster than dial-up infact.

my netgear dg834g is synching with the exchange (just down the road) at 8128kbps, yet when i run some tests they are coming back way less than what it should be downloading at.

i ran the bt speed test and the results are as follows

IP profile of line is - 1000kbps
8128kbps downstream
448kbps - upstream
Actual ip throughput during test was 916kbps

Also

My router is connected to the master socket in the house with just one other phone in the house, with filter attached.

One key thing i should mention is Bt just lifter a restriction off my phone yesterday as i was late paying a bill, i originally thought that might be the problem but the restriction was taken off ealier today. Hope thats enough info for someone to shed some light on this for me.

Thanks in advance!!

Lewis
6 REPLIES
N/A

Having read more posts i believe i should have to wait 3 days while synching at 8meg before my speeds are raised again.... is this true?Huh
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Looking at the speed report history for your line from BT it looks like the line keeps resync'ing at a very low rate. The last speed update we received was at 02/05/2007 06:08:26 when the line resync'd to 1Mbps, before that it's going up and down between 160kbps and about 2Mbps quite a lot.

With it now sync'ing at 8128kbps I can only assume that there's something that's causing the line to keep resync'ing at a lower rate.

This could easily be something like wiring and filters, I would recommend taking a look through this to see if anything helps:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

Problem is that you probably aren't going to see an imnmediate improvement for 3-5 days. So long as you can find what's causing the low sync speed and fix it then BT will automatically increase the throughput speed (the IP profile in the speedtest) after 3-5 days.
N/A

Yes it did seem to be going up and down quite a lot, it seems to have steadied now at 8meg after this bt restriction was taken off.

its the only thing i can think it could be, as the download speed was fine up until the restriction was put in place..... now that has been removed i assume everything should go back to normal after 3-5 dasy.

Iv'e just signed up to giganews/newsleecher two days ago and cant even get the benefits of massive download speeds from that..... fingers crossed though.

Thanks
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Yeah, if it stays at 8128kbps then it should take 3-5 days for the throughput rate to increase. The way BT designed Max was that a decrease in sync rate would immediately decrease the throughput but an increase in sync would take 3-5 days to increase the throughput so yep keep an eye on the sync and you should see in increase in a few days.
N/A

Thanks for all your help guys, greatly appreciated! Cheesy
chrisc
Grafter

No problem.

Shout up if you have any more questions Cheesy