cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8 ip block and sar715 router

N/A

I am having problems setting up a no nat configuration with this router i can use it fine with nat but when i go to change it i lose all connectivity.

I am on the latest firmware.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Cheers
3 REPLIES
N/A

8 ips? didn't think PlusNet allowed a 8ip block to customers, what they gave me was a 4ip block :?

cheers :!:
N/A

Let's call your IP Addresses IP1 to IP8. Addresses IP1 and IP8 are not assignable to devices, so you have six usable IP Addresses, IP2 to IP7.

Your SAR715 will require either one or two IP addresses, leaving you with either four or five for assigning to PCs on your network. In common with other ADSL routers, the SAR715 has two network interfaces -- the "WAN" interface (ADSL) and the "LAN" interface (Ethernet) -- the "WAN" interface will probably pick up address IP2 by dynamic configuration from PlusNet. You should set its LAN address to this same value, so both the WAN and LAN addresses are set to IP2. The subnet mask value to use for the LAN interface is 255.255.255.248 (implying an 8-IP address subnet). The PCs should be assigned addresses IP7 down to IP3 (assign them in reverse order, because ypu might need to assign address IP3 to the LAN interface of the router if it does not accept having both the WAN and LAN addresses the same). On the PCs, the subnet mask should also be 255.255.255.248 and the default route ("default gateway") should be the address you've assigned to the LAN interface of the router (either IP2, or, if the router did not accept that for the LAN address, IP3).

Bear in mind, once you've changed the LAN address of the router (to either address IP2 or IP3) and committed / rebooted (whatever is required on the SAR715) you will not be able to access it from your PCs until you have assigned them addresses from the range available to you. The router's web interface should then be available by pointing your browser at the IP2 or IP3 address.

Bear in mind also, that when you switch off NAT at your router, you lose the natural "firewall" protection it provides, so you will rely on the firewall properties of the router and/or the individual PCs -- make sure you review the settings.
Community Veteran

didn't think PlusNet allowed a 8ip block to customers

Certain account types e.g. business accounts can have a block of 8 when justified.

Chris