cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7 days into adslmax speed profile

N/A

Hi Smiley , i have been upgrade 7 days ago to adslmax but my speeds have gone up slightly my sync has stayed about the same 3520kb/448kb.But i only live 1.27 kilometres away from the exchange (as the crow flies) and my exchange is in the green status. My latest speed tests are 2.81Mbps with a download speed of 360.21kbs Cry . Surly my sync rate should of gone up my bras profile on plusnet is at 8000kbs so why is my sync rate so pants Cry Heres some other specs which might help someone answer my question. Please help Thankyou in advance Cheesy

Upstream/Downstream

Noise Margin 20 dB/6 dB

Attenuation 60 dB/47 dB
9 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

Having seen information on BT using strange filters on phone lines I can't help wondering whether something is filtering your connection in an odd way. As I have mentioned before Upstream attenuation is usually lower than Downstream and this is because the band of frequencies used for the upstream part of the ADSL spectrum is lower than the downstream part and naturally has a much lower impedance.

To my mind the only way this situation could be reversed is if something in the line circuitry is acting like a high pass filter. Presumably if you still get this effect when your router/modem is plugged straight into the (unfiltered) master socket the culprit could only be on the BT side of things-- unless the router is the problem!
N/A

Your Up attenuation is far too high. I'm thinking you may have an old RF filter in your house. Look for any white boxes that the line passes through..tho don't confuse the junction box for one (where the line enters the property).

Other than that maybe dodgy wiring in the house somewhere.

Also try using the BT test socket located behind the master socket faceplate.

and you could also try removing the ring wire if you have it attached.. i doubt it could be whats causing the attenuation problem but it wont hurt.

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php

and by the way as the crow flies isn't really relevant. I'm 1.86km as the crow flies, but my line legnth is 3.42km.
N/A

thanks for all the info guys Cheesy My Bt master socket has been moved from its the orginal place into the hall way by myself (dont't tell BT :? ) And from that wires come out master socket to my computer upstairs bedroom. The master socket is not the orginal bt one with the part you can remove to test but is a master socket. If i think back im sure there was a yellow diode thingy in the master socket could that be causing the problem. I am 1.5miles away from exchange after using autoroute. I forgot to say ther was no box ect on the wall, as i wired it from where it joins the house when i fitted a new master socket? I guess the only other thing to try is try a extension cable from master socket to upstairs :roll: I did forget to metion a while back i had BT out after alot of crackling on the line. She did test my master socket and it was fine. It ended up being a problem there end hope this helps
shellsong
Grafter

If BT ever have recourse to check out your line they'll have your guts for garters! :shock:
N/A

BT did turn up to check a fault but he did'nt bother him when he checked the master socket. As far as im concerned it was there when we moved in Wink . But this still does not resolve my poor sync speeds. I have had bt check my line tonight over the phone (tested ok). So why is my Attenuation so high
Could it be a faulty router :?: any ideas
smillie-world
Grafter

If i think back im sure there was a yellow diode thingy in the master socket could that be causing the problem.

I'm no telecoms expert and I don't really know much about the wiring of telecoms kit (I stick to the PC side of things). However, I've worked in several offices, and each of them has had an internal digital switch. Due to the digital switch this means that in order to make use of an analogue modem (i.e. on a PC), you need a PABX adapter. Out of curiosity, I've dissembled a few of these to see what was in them, and found that they also contain a "yellow diode thingy".

Now, if I'm right in thinking the telephone line to your house is analogue already, therefore there is no need for the "yellow diode thingy" and I would suspect this to be affecting the signal you're receiving. While it probably has no effect on normal phones, I imagine it would have an effect on ADSL (as in Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line).

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone (with some knowledge) will be quick enough to put me right.
Community Veteran

The "Yellow Diode thingy" that is in the Master socket is more than likely a capacitor.
The Master socket has a capacitor and a resistor in it that is always connected across the line.
The purpose of this is to allow for BT to be able to test that the line gets as far as your house even if your phones are not connected.
The way it works is that they apply a voltage to the line from the test desk and can see the current flowing to charge up the capacitor. They then throw a switch and reverse the conection to the line so tat the capacitor discharges and re charges the other way.
This gives a very clear indication that there is something on the end of the line and its not broken part way between you and the BT exchange.
N/A

so i guess that means leave the capacitor alone then :roll:
ady
Grafter

when i looked through my wiring in the house

i saw these little things attached the the wires befire entering the socket
(at the expansion sockets)

i have no idea what these were, but when i removed the ring wire

my attenuation went from (i thikn i recall) 45, to what now is 60

however my synch speed increased to 1.6mb from 500-900